+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Removal

Default Removal

Is the best way to remove the ferrules, cork and reel seat with heat? The mind is kind of spinning with everything I've been reading. Thanks
    Steve

Thanks. I hope you all won't mind if I ask questions as I go. I don't want to be an imposition to anyone.
    Steve

Heat is the best way and there are several methods. What you may want to do before you begin that heating process is to look the reel seat over very carefully for any pins that may be in there. Most of the older production rods had pinned reelseats and ferrule....could save you some grief if you find and remove them first....

good luck and have fun!!

Rookie;
    I believe that I have read that it would be a good idea to put the seat and cork grip in a baggy before putting them into the boiling water.

------------------
    Don't forget the Michigan Fish-In August 14th to the 20th. The Holy Water's of the Au Sable await you!!

Cactus

Thanks guys. As I said, this is a real good "learn how to" rod, and hopefully will have a little fun before, during and after with it.
    Steve

Once the reel seat slips off, if the shim underneath remains, would it be better to go ahead and remove the shim as well or just try to find a new seat that will adapt to the shim? I would like to remove it as well if it is acceptable. I guess what I am trying to achieve is just ending up with the blanks and going with all new. Any help?
    Steve

Don't take the shim off until you get your reel seat. If you get a metal seat, then the shim may fit with light sanding to size. If you get wood insert, you may have to remove and reshim them with other materials (maybe other builders can chime in with what they use). I use the mesh drywall tape with epoxy when I set the seat.

FYI. I've put so much torque when taking off the r/s that I've crumbled the cork and had to replace both. Something else to be gentle with when removing components.

------------------
    God Blesses!
    A wing & a Prayer! ----*<(((><~ ~ ~ ~
    Quinn

[This message has been edited by Wednesday Caster (edited 11 March 2006).]
    "I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy nobody but him, and him only that catches more fish than I do." Izaak Walton
    God Bless and Tight Lines ----*<(((>< ~ ~ ~

Thanks. I am afraid the cork is history. I planned on replacing just about everything anyway.
    Steve

+ Reply to Thread