+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Connecting Backing to Backing

Default Connecting Backing to Backing

I have two 100 yard spools of backing to put on a reel that needs around 200 yards. What kind of knot would you recommend to connect the backing to the backing?
    Thanks

2. Default

A blood knot has always worked reliably for me.

I agree with the blood knot. Strong and slim.

Thanks for your opinion.

The simple sheet bend ought to be more then enough - making it a double bend should be way beyond what's necessary.

Strong, simple and a very small knot when completed.

http://www.netknots.com/rope_knots/sheet-bend/

If this is for a reel where you are using 200 yards of backing, chances are you are not trout fishing. I think the blood knot would be fine for trout fishing where you are not stressing the backing near the breaking strength. But, if you are going after larger fish that may pull close to the breaking strength of your backing, I would recommend that you use a stronger connection.

The best connection, if your backing braid is hollow, is to splice the two spools together. This is not hard to do, if you have one of those Cortland tools, and will make a 100% connection. It is slimmer than any knot.

If your backing is not hollow, tie a bimini twist loop in the end of each spool of backing and loop-to-loop those together. This is also a 100% connection and pretty slim as well.

Regards,
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by tedshuck View Post
    If this is for a reel where you are using 200 yards of backing, chances are you are not trout fishing. I think the blood knot would be fine for trout fishing where you are not stressing the backing near the breaking strength. But, if you are going after larger fish that may pull close to the breaking strength of your backing, I would recommend that you use a stronger connection.

The best connection, if your backing braid is hollow, is to splice the two spools together. This is not hard to do, if you have one of those Cortland tools, and will make a 100% connection. It is slimmer than any knot.

If your backing is not hollow, tie a bimini twist loop in the end of each spool of backing and loop-to-loop those together. This is also a 100% connection and pretty slim as well.

Regards,
    Ted

This is for an 8 wt. smallmouth bass rod. It's just regular Cortland Micron 20-pound, 100 yard backing of which I'll probably never use except as a filler.

Since smallmouth bass won't take you into your backing, you should be fine with either a blood or uni knot.

Dave
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Blood knot is pretty strong when tying section of like material and diameter.

aa
    US Veteran and concerned citizen

Blood knot and super glue.

I have a 1495 1/2 DA that has a patchwork of at least 3 different backings...
    Last edited by smij; 06-28-2014 at 06:09 PM.

+ Reply to Thread