Thread: Mono Nymph Eyes

Threaded View

1. Default

Why not make your own? It's quite simple. I use jeweler's tweezers (the kind that close when pressure is released) and a variety of sizes and colors of monofilament. Maxima Chameleon works well and results in a nice amber color. For a heat source I use a small alcohol lamp, cut a piece of monofilament approximately one inch long and grip it with the tweezers with an equal amount of monofilament projecting from each side. Slowly move one end toward the flame until it melts and forms a "ball", then turn the tweezers over and do the same to the other end. A little experimentation quickly develops the necessary skills to create neat, consistent "dumbbell" eyes.

Depending on the desired size of eyes I've used anywhere from 40 to 100 pound mono (I had to go to a marine fisheries supply store to find the really big stuff) and use them extensively for damselfly nymphs and adults as well as shrimp patterns or any other insect with prominent eyes. I usually sit down and make anywhere from twenty to fifty at a time.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Preston Singletary; 06-27-2014 at 01:38 AM.