+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rod like Jonezees'

Default Rod like Jonezees'

I have what appears to be a rod identical to Jonezees. I also want to rebuild mine. I have rebuilt a number of graphite rods but never bamboo. Is the finish on the old bamboo a varnish or an epoxy? Any other advise would certainly be appreciated.
    Steve

The traditional rod and wrap finish for a bamboo rod is 'spar varnish'. Not the modern urethane based marine spar varnishes but the old time linseed oil based ones (read the label in detail.) Spar varnish is still very common and easy to find at any good paint store. Urethane finish is fine to use, but looks a little different when cured.

Spar varnish can be applied with a brush, but it takes skill to avoid brush marks. Many choose to apply the finish by dipping the entire rod in a tube filled with finish and slowly withdrawing it. This system works well, but requires a gallon of material to fill the dipping tube. Not practical for the small scale hobby builder.

Another option for a traditonal finish is a hand rubbed oil/varnish such as 'Formby's Tung Oil' (furniture finish) or 'Casey's Tru Oil' (gun stock finish) These are tung oil or linseed oil finishes with added ingrediants to dry faster and increase water resistance. These are applied to the unwrapped blank using a lint free cloth and plenty of elbow grease. Several coats are needed, they both produce a nice satin finish. The guide wraps are then finished with spar varnish (low gloss) using a paint brush.

Check the following link for all kinds of info on bamboo rods and finishing techniques...look in the tips/finishing section.
    [url=http://www.bamboorodmaking.com/:60a36]http://www.bamboorodmaking.com/[/url:60a36]

[This message has been edited by kengore (edited 10 March 2006).]

I really appreciate the information. This project is for fun but I still don't want to mess it up. Thanks again for the help.
    Steve

Kengore gave you very thorough information on applying varnish. Please be sure to check DLeo's instructions for varnish removal (Jonezee's thread) using stripper instead of aggressive materials like sandpaper etc.

------------------
    God Blesses!
    A wing & a Prayer! ----*<(((><~ ~ ~ ~
    Quinn
    "I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy nobody but him, and him only that catches more fish than I do." Izaak Walton
    God Bless and Tight Lines ----*<(((>< ~ ~ ~

Thanks. I had read that part and picked up great information. From what I'm seeing of the rod, to really do this right, I'm going to need to just about replace everything. The rod won't be worth what I will have in it, but looking more for the fun and enjoyment.
    Steve

+ Reply to Thread