+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sensitivity

Default sensitivity

I went fishing in the duck a few days ago and during the time the fish were biting, the question of sensitivity came to mind. It seem to me that more sensing of the strike was felt in the line than in the rod. If this is true then how does the sensitivity of the rod come into play. Also how is sensitivity put into a rod? Only a Newbee would ask a question like this, but I was just wondering. Can any one educate me?

WayneC

Wayne,

I guess I would have to ask you how you know that the strike that you felt came through the line? If you have the line pinched against the rod in your casting hand while the fly was in the water and you felt the strike in that finger that was holding the fly line against the rod, how would you know that the sensing you felt was coming through the line and not the rod?
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Warren

You have a point to ponder on, but I do believe I felt the strike thru the line and not the rod.

WayneC

I do not think I can answer your question and maybe someone else can. All I know is that I watch my fly line where it enters the water and I concentrate on it 100% looking for any sign of a "take" and when it does happen, I also feel the "take" in my rod hand. I have tried to determine if I "saw" the "take" with movement from the fly line where it enters the water or "felt" the "take" in my rod hand and I cannot state one way or the other. I, sometimes, feel I "felt" and "saw" the "take" at the same time.

I have no knowledge of rod building or their make-up, but, I have owned rods that were not sensitive and did not transmit anything to my hand.

Hopefully, some knowledgeable person will respond and help your with your question.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

The fish strike the fly which is attached to the line, which when drawn taut, transmits the vibration through the line to the rod and your hand, if you are touching the line. For you to feel the vibration through the rod it must be transmitted from the line to the rod to your hand. This would be the long route for the vibration by a few millimeters. The vibrations would probably travel down the rod due to its rigid state, faster than down the line, but considering we are talking a distance of a few feet I would think it would arrive pretty much at the same time.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Blog Entries

newbee,

Sounds like some kind of test needs to be conducted, like going out and catching a few dozen or more fish to study this question. If you have a lot of slack in your line you will not feel the strike, you will only be able to see it either by the line moving or with the use of a strike indicator for sub-surface action. With a tight line you should feel the strike in both the rod and the line at the same time, since the fly line has to pass through all those guides, the line will transmit the feel of the fish into the rod. I have to agree with Warren when he says that there are some rods that do not transmit hardly anything. Those are broomsticks. I like to feel the fight of the fish, from the take to the first few seconds of the fight, then for me it is a matter of getting the fish in so I can release it. Yep, I think you need to do more studying of this question out on the water. Have fun while doing it.

Larry ---sagefisher---

I Think you guys may have a point about needing more studying on this subject. I thank you guys for your in put and I will start to pay more attention to the rod and line when I am fishing. Hooray for study time....LOL

WayneC

I am not sure that I can give any more input on the difference between the line and the rod.
    Like Warren I watch the end of the line for any change. I get many fish that way that I never feel on the line or rod.

Rick

I'm a line watcher also. However, in the faster moving water it is certainly not as observable. Tight lines are the order of the day, as an old mentor use to preach to me, and so I'm careful about the line and most always have my hand on it, sort of at the ready. Have noticed when fishing streamers in one of my favorite streams where they work great, the trout will just barely bump it and you have to be on your toes to feel it.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jesse View Post
    The fish strike the fly which is attached to the line, which when drawn taut, transmits the vibration through the line to the rod and your hand, if you are touching the line. For you to feel the vibration through the rod it must be transmitted from the line to the rod to your hand. This would be the long route for the vibration by a few millimeters. The vibrations would probably travel down the rod due to its rigid state, faster than down the line, but considering we are talking a distance of a few feet I would think it would arrive pretty much at the same time.
    +1

Allow me to add that the rod handle dampens the vibrations from the rod blank. Cork and foam are excellent for reducing vibrations. There are spin fishers that remove a section of the handle over the rod blank so they can put an index finger directly on the rod blank. OR they put their index finger on the rod blank ABOVE the rod handle.

Also reaction time is much faster when you see the take rather than feel the take for two reasons. First the eyes are closer to the brain so vision reaches the brain before a sensation from you hand which is much further away from the brain. Secondly, the vibration of the tug takes time to be transmitted to the hand but light travels at the speed of light so it is instantaneous.

That is why contrasting colored sections of leader are used as "sighters" by competitive fly fishers when nymphing.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

+ Reply to Thread