+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Indicator Nymph Leaders

Default Indicator Nymph Leaders

Hello,

Came across a interesting nymph 2 fly rig by Kelly Galloup called a "Drop Shot Rig w/Adjustable Dropper" it calls for some HI-VIS Gold mono for the butt section but can't find it in any of our local retailers here that sell mono line. I was wondering if using something like a fabric paint to create marks on the leader for an indicator would work. I have some FL., Orange Fabric paint that I've used on flies and it holds up really well in water, last longer then the files do, in most cases. Would adding some small strips on the butt section of the leader, 1st 3 ft., cause any sort of problems to the leader? Or is there a better way to created an indicator leader for nymphing ?

Mike
    "The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope" -John Buchan

I use Sunset Amnesia for the butt section of my nymph leaders. This is a brightly colored monofilament line intended for use as a running line, but also frequently used for leader butt sections. Just Google "Sunset Amnesia" and you should find a variety of sources.

Another approach would be to use a "backing sighter". You can make one from some braided backing line, see for example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giH3O-jYkgQ. If you don't have colored backing, use white backing and color it with a fabric marker.

One other thing that might be helpful is S'getti String". This is a small diameter tubing that comes in bright colors and that you can find in craft stores. Just cut a short piece and slide your leader through it. Your leader knot will hold it in place.

There are a variety of other "sighters" that are used for European / Czech nymphing. You can buy them pre-made or make your own.
    Last edited by johnstoeckel; 06-24-2014 at 01:19 AM.

check Cabelas, they have hi viz gold stren. personally there are better choices, such as the two tone sighter that Cortland produces, also found in a Cabelas catalog. actually most fly shops or the larger shops with catalogs have it listed.
    Gene

Thanks for the info appreciate it.

Mike
    "The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope" -John Buchan

+ Reply to Thread