+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A little too serious?

Default A little too serious?

I was wonder as I fished yesterday or as I was driving home anyhow, am I a bit too serious about my fishing? I mean could I take a newbie with me and help them learn the to fish. I say that tongue in cheek, actually I have taken out kids and newbie adults, but it is hard to put down that rod every time someone needs help.Could I actually set the rod aside and essentially guide someone else and still get as much satisfaction out of the days trip as I do with a rod in my hand? Bit of a ponderous question, but if y'all have any thoughts about it I would love to hear them. Does anybody feel the same way?

Next opportunity to be a teacher, just don't rig your rod up, help/coach the newbie or child instead. It's too tempting to sling something when you're holding the instrument of sling. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by jimp View Post
    ... just don't rig your rod up, help/coach the newbie or child instead.
    This ^^^^^

If I'm helping someone else, I don't fish.

If you are really helping someone else, you cannot fish period! You are just kidding yourself.
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Kaboom1 View Post
    If you are really helping someone else, you cannot fish period! You are just kidding yourself.
    I have to agree. If you do rig up, you want to feel that tug. If something stops or interupts you while do so it becomes a pain. Just do not rig up a rod for yourself and help the person your teaching.

Blog Entries

decide what the purpose of the trip is, If its to teach then teach. If it is a mental health trip ie keeping your sanity then go and fish but don't try to combine them
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

In my minds eye, I'm picturing what is described herein as TOTALLY helping someone as perhaps a guide or tutor would. I am always willing to help when asked and it has NEVER been a case where I had to stop fishing except for a moment or two. On the other hand, I think I'd be prepared for a total fishing lesson if that is what I signed up for. No regrets or problem in that case. Plan ahead. Eric kinda said the same thing but I'm here to up my post count.

Mark

My experience in teaching folks to fly fish (tenkara or otherwise) is limited, but from teaching others I was surprised to learn that once I get into teaching mode, I am just as thrilled when the learner hooks (and maybe lands) as fish as I am when I am fishing myself. Definitely do not rig up a rod of your own because you will be better able to teach and if you truly get involved in helping the learner, then you will not miss having your own rod. At least that is the way it works for me. ~Paul

As they say over here in this neck of the woods ...

"What are you going to do ... fish or cut bait ...?"

You are absolutely correct, DaleW, but perhaps even more apt in this case might be: "What are you going to do...fish or teach fishing?"

+ Reply to Thread