+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to Properly Tie the "Davy Knot" and the "Double- Davy Knot"

I have largely converted to using the Davy knot and the double Davy knot when I want a tight connection of the tippet to the eye of the hook, ie: not a loop knot. I find them very quick to tie and strong, as long as they are tied correctly.

One caution with the Davy knot is using it with a small tippet and a heavy wire hook. This knot depends on the knot tightening properly against the hook eye. If the wire for the hook eye is too large the knot does not bind against the hook eye properly and the knot will slip. The double Davy knot solves this problem.

Ted

I just started using this knot and really like the ease of tying especially late in the evening. It ties light tippet without the curl that I sometimes got with the clinch knot.

I'm going to have to test the knot myself.

While it looks easy to tie, and it certainly saves tippet, I'm not going to trust it until it's been tested a bit.

A good knot should consistently break at or higher than the rated test of the line. Ease of tying and tippet savings are a nice bonus, but not enough to change from proven knots without testing.

Tying fifty of them in a row with the tippet sizes you normally use and breaking them on a scale will tell you how strong a knot is and whether or not you are tying it consistently. If it's neither strong, nor consistent, I won't use it.

Hopefully these knots will stand up to the test. I'll do it this weekend and post the results here.

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy Sanders View Post
    I'm going to have to test the knot myself.

While it looks easy to tie, and it certainly saves tippet, I'm not going to trust it until it's been tested a bit.

A good knot should consistently break at or higher than the rated test of the line. Ease of tying and tippet savings are a nice bonus, but not enough to change from proven knots without testing.

Tying fifty of them in a row with the tippet sizes you normally use and breaking them on a scale will tell you how strong a knot is and whether or not you are tying it consistently. If it's neither strong, nor consistent, I won't use it.

Hopefully these knots will stand up to the test. I'll do it this weekend and post the results here.

Buddy
    Buddy.

By all means do so.And let us know what you determine. I have read other knot tests and take no notice as l know the value of that knot, which l figured out more than 50 years ago
    I will tell you that for a average guide season l will see my customers catch in the region of 8 to 10,000 fish here on the White river and over the years that amounts to in the region of 200,000 fish, not to mention the many 1000s to my rod in my lifetime.

When you post your test results please also state how you did the test if you will.

Thanks.

Davy Wotton. A.I.S.F.F.

George Anderson at the Yellowstone Angler in Livingston did a Tippet Shootout in 2012, and reported that the Davy knot's breaking strength tested poorer than a wind knot - in other words, not so good.

See his results here: http://www.yellowstoneangler.com/gea...r-stoft-umpqua

However, Anderson's test was aimed specifically at tippet materials, not knots. Did they tie the knot properly when conducting the test? And, what about the strength of the Double Davy?

I will be interested to see your results as well, Buddy.

John
    Last edited by John Rhoades; 06-20-2014 at 12:32 PM.

I'll let everyone know, and I'll post the methodology as well as the numbers.

I'm really hoping it's a good, strong knot.

Testing is the key, though.

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Buddy,

I would be interested to find out if I done the testing of this knot incorrectly or it failed. I thought, 3 years ago, this would be my knot of choice but found out it would not hold or seat on a large diameter wire hook like a #4 or 6. As you tightened it up, it would just continue to slip and not snug up. If you get a chance, could you include larger hooks for your testing to see if maybe I did not tie it correctly? It did seem to work fine on size 14 and smaller.

Thanks,
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Blog Entries

Just for info, on all of my large hooks, no matter what knot I use, I always place the leader/tippet through the eye of the hook twice then tie the knot. That seems to hold and I have not had problems with the knot coming untied.

Larry ---sagefisher---

I've been using this knot for years; I've never had one break, but if you get sloppy and don't tie it correctly it can slip.
    There have never in history been so many opportunities to do so many things that aren't worth doing. - William Gaddis

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy Sanders View Post
    I'll let everyone know, and I'll post the methodology as well as the numbers.

I'm really hoping it's a good, strong knot.

Testing is the key, though.

Buddy
    Have you done this test?

I was hoping to see your results.

John

+ Reply to Thread