+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hard as Nails

Default Hard as Nails

Anyone using Hard as Nails, or Perma Gloss from U-40 for thread wraps on your guides???

I am wanting an easy way to apply something to my wraps that won't build up to thick a finish, and I would like to not have to ever mix epoxy again for my thread wrap!!!

Thanks,
    Reg

Also, anyone have any ideas on how to put alignment dots on my ferrules that work?

I picked up a head cement from my local shop that looks like a thin varnish. It works great, really soaks into the head, and doesn't really build up at all.
    I ordered some alignment dots from decal connection. I've installed them on one of my 3 piece fly rods, and they seem to work pretty well so far. I ordered the smallest little dots that they offered, and it seems reasonably functional. The only down side IMO is that you have to apply finish over the decal on the male side of the ferrule. Not my first choice for looks, but still not that bad.

Reg,

I havn't used it but I have been told that U-40 Perma Gloss by Trondak is an excelent alternative for epoxy. It is durable, flexable and won't yellow but requires several coats to build up a smooth surface.
    An open container, even covered, sets up quickly and you may only get one rod out of it so buy the smallest annount possible.

Don

I have used the Perma-Gloss on two rods now. Works well. Haven't had it long enough to check out the shelf life.

It took several more coats to fill the thread, but the coats set up in less than an hour.

Read the instuctions for all the details. Failing to allow enough cure time between coats will cause bubbles in the finish.

I haven't found a way to clean it out of the paint brushes I used, so I went through a lot of brushes (epoxy cleans up just fine with vinegar)

I have used Perma gloss on several rods and was pleased. It will need 4 to 6 coats. Also U40 makes a cleaner that works with all of their products.

I've used Perma Gloss and It is great, Fast and easy...I will add that you should look into purchasing a spary oxegen burner....which is sprayed into the bottle prior to storing it for any lenth of time...
    I lost my first 4 oz bottle after only having finnished two rods...even with the cap on as tightly as possible the oxegen in the bottle will allow it to solidify completely in a supriseingly short time....U40 also makes an oxegen burner product....
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

I always use varnish. That is the original look where you don't get the epoxy built up look.

jed

+ Reply to Thread