I haven't logged on here in way too long! So this is going to be a couple quick reports in one post.

In the end of May my mother in law came out to visit and, after seeing my tenkara rod on the corner, suggested we go fishing one afternoon. I'd been wanting to try a new spot, hoping to finally catch a brook trout. I've fished in plenty of places where brook trout are supposed to be but I'd only ever catch browns and bows. By by the time we get to the creek, it has stated to rain off and on and I'm fearful my wife and her mother won't want to be out. But being the troopers they are they pulled out the chairs, setup beneath a large pine and began chatting it up. I start fishing in the rain to no avail. Suddenly little grey sails start appearing on the surface and fish are rising! I proceed to catch a couple of little brownies. But the rain picks up again and the fishing dies down. I fishymy way downstream and notice the girls are starting to appear restless so I begin heading back towards the truck and the pine that they've established themselves beneath. Then, maybe 20 yds from the truck I notice a brookie consistently rising. I cast to him and he ignores my first offering but with the lightest sip, takes my second fly! So I finally caught a brook trout!

Next fish story...

I volunteer with Project Healing Waters and a new group of guys just started. We started casting right away, using a little piece of yarn instead of hooks. After we were little more confident that we wouldn't have to tank hooks out of anybody we have everybody flies and I believe everybody caught a fish before the thunderstorms rolled in! Great day!

Last tid bit... a general report in case any of you are in the Mt Rushmore area

With all the snow this winter and the seemingly never ending deluge of rain storms this spring/summer, the water here was on the high and fast side for quite a while, which is unusual for us. We don't usually have much of a runoff season. But the flows are back down and the fishing is amazing (not that it wasn't amazing during the high flows either)

Tight lines