+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tube Flies

Hybrid View

Default Tube Flies

Just curious if anyone here has used this type of fly and if so, for what type(s) of fish. I recently joined a Tube Fly swap and this was my first time tying them. So I kept them fairly simple and now will eagerly anticipate the arrivals. That won't be for awhile but in the meantime I thought I'd ask about your experiences withg this style of fly. Any patterns for trout that you'd try tying on a tube? How about bass? Oh, How do these flies cast and do you need a larger then usual tippet?

Thanks for any information.

Allan

AlanB Guest

Used tubes a lot for salmon, of course. Also for trout and sea trout. (We don't have bass here). Plastic tubes, at one end of the scale, are usually easy to cast. Go to the other end of the scale and a 1" tungsten tube feels more at home on spinning gear. How difficult it is to cast depends on the tube and what you are trying to cast it with. For tippet judge it by the weight of the fly (stiff enough to turn it over) just as with a fly tied on a hook. Don't forget to include the hook when making your judgement. A plastic tube with hook will not need any more leader than a fly tied on a hook of similar overall size.

One great advantage is that, when playing the fish, the tube rides up the leader, saving the fly from damage by the fish's teeth.

Cheers,
    A.

+ Reply to Thread