Nicely done Scott, that is a fly I didn't expect you to cover. There are lots of variations on it. I've seen it in just about every colour you can imagine, and tied most at one time or another. Even an all CdC version.

The fly is very much a child of international loch style competition fly fishing. There are size limits on the flies used in these competitions. The equate to a standard shank size 10 with a short tail as the largest fly permitted. (I have no idea why). Competitors must not use flies that will not fit in a gauge like this
Hook_Gauge_Lureflash.jpgThe smaller size is the hook size, and the larger the size of the overall fly. It was to fit into this restriction that brought this fly about.

It is fished both wet and dry. Having cast it out, usually as one of a team of three flies, it is given a few seconds to sit on the surface then pulled. Sometimes the fish want them dry, if they do they are Ginked to float, otherwise fished sub surface. There are many other variations on fishing them that have come about, even using buoyant flies on sunk lines as part of the same team.

In recent years it doesn't seem to be as popular as it once was, it may just be fashion, or it could be that over recent years there does seem to be less surface activity.

It would be interesting to know how you get on with fishing this pattern. It is very much a general imitation of food than anything specific. Certainly not a "hopper" imitation as you know them.

Cheers,
A.