+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bristol Hopper SBS

Hybrid View

Default Bristol Hopper SBS

No foam? No rubber legs? No Congo Hair? Try hanging a #2 Bitch Creek off the back of this. Crazy Brits/Aussies/Kiwis.

hook - Mustad 94840 #10
    thread - MFC 8/0 brown
    butt/rib - opalescent mylar medium
    abdomen - hare's ear dubbing
    legs - pheasant tail fibers (knotted)
    hackle - brown

Part 1

mash barb; start thread and wrap back to point above barb

tie in mylar, wrap down the bend, then wrap mylar up to point above barb; tie down

dub thread, dub body

rib body, tie off and trim

knot some pheasant (3 legs, 2 fibers per)

Part 2

tie in, one on each side and one underneath (apparently there's a big stink amongst the Brits about their orientation - don't have 'em hanging below the body and you catch some flak); trim butts

tie in hackle

fold it, then stroke back fibers and wrap

tie off, trim, tip, half hitch x 2, SHHAN

Regards,
    Scott

AlanB Guest

Nicely done Scott, that is a fly I didn't expect you to cover. There are lots of variations on it. I've seen it in just about every colour you can imagine, and tied most at one time or another. Even an all CdC version.

The fly is very much a child of international loch style competition fly fishing. There are size limits on the flies used in these competitions. The equate to a standard shank size 10 with a short tail as the largest fly permitted. (I have no idea why). Competitors must not use flies that will not fit in a gauge like this
    Hook_Gauge_Lureflash.jpgThe smaller size is the hook size, and the larger the size of the overall fly. It was to fit into this restriction that brought this fly about.

It is fished both wet and dry. Having cast it out, usually as one of a team of three flies, it is given a few seconds to sit on the surface then pulled. Sometimes the fish want them dry, if they do they are Ginked to float, otherwise fished sub surface. There are many other variations on fishing them that have come about, even using buoyant flies on sunk lines as part of the same team.

In recent years it doesn't seem to be as popular as it once was, it may just be fashion, or it could be that over recent years there does seem to be less surface activity.

It would be interesting to know how you get on with fishing this pattern. It is very much a general imitation of food than anything specific. Certainly not a "hopper" imitation as you know them.

Cheers,
    A.

Alan,

Thanks very much for the information; nice to get a little history on the fly. Can't wait to put it to work on a little freestone stream I have in mind; the cutts have never been too picky there.

Here's another one I'm playing around with. I've seen it called either a Sedgehog Hopper or a Half Hog; whichever, it's pretty cool.

Main difference is the hook (Dai Riki 135 #10) and the addition of a deer hair wing.

Get to this point (I was trying different body materials - this one's gold Sexi-Floss ribbed with holo copper tinsel)

do this

then finish it off like the Bristol. Fun times.

Regards,
    Scott

AlanB Guest

That's the Half Hog, the Sedge Hog has bunches of hair all down the back. Here's the selection I tied up for myself this year. These are the colours we find useful.
    Half Hog Stack.jpg
    You may also note that they don't have a front hackle. Rather a extra bunch of deer hair.
    Cheers,
    A.

+ Reply to Thread