+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rod Spine

Default Rod Spine

I have a rather expensive Italian 3pc blank with 2 spines in each section, they are 180 degrees apart and equal in intensity. I am about to put the guides on the blank but don't know where to place them or if I should even continue. I also have a finished rod by the same manufacturer that has 2 spines 180 degrees apart in 2 of the sections and only 1 spine in the 3rd section. The guides are placed so they are opposite a spine on all 3 sections. I love the way this rod casts and plays fish.

I plan on contacting the importer to see what he has to say.

What would you do?

Thanks in advance,

Don O

I am probably the only person here that will tell you this. I would line the sections up as straight as possible and wrap it there. If it sweeps up a bit put the guides on the bottom. Forget the spine/spline.

No rod manufacturer I know of spines a rod...none of um.

I have wrapped rods on the spine, off the spine, at right angles to the spine and paying no attention what so ever to the spine.

I cant tell a whit of difference in any of um.

But.... do what ya want

BTW..If your blank is a Gatti...they are posed to be spineless..."uniform thickness structure"

[This message has been edited by Buzz (edited 28 February 2006).]

Buzz,

Its a Gatti, and both my Gatti's have spines. My 2wt is the best fishing, most fun rod that I have so I bought the blank in 6/7 wt tip action for salt water.

Thanks for the reply.

Don O

You will someday come to understand the spine and then you won't care about it anymore.

Forget the spine icw placement of guides.

The spine is much ado about nothing. It is an enigma.

Gem

put it together, rotate the sections to get the straightest you can get, and go for it....At one time, I would say there was a great deal of value in finding the spine, anymore, it is just too hard to determine as the quality of most blanks has gone way up....

Listen to Buzz ~~~~ he's giving you the straight scoop. I don't make much difference.

Gentlemen,

Thanks for all your replys they are all most welcome. JC, I agree with you that this rod, or any rod, is too important to build wrong. I did contact Gatti USA and had a very plesant conversation with Brian.

On the FRHP 906 3TA it is common to have multiple spines. I was told to find the most pronounced and use that, in my case they were equally pronounced and directly opposite each other. Pick one and go with it. The next step is to insert the mid section into the butt alligning the found spines, then find the spine of the mated sections. Do any fine tuning that may be necissary. Repeat this with all 3 sections assembled. The result should be the optimum from the blank.

I am going to do as instructed, if only for my peace of mind. I will be satisfied to know that my new rod is as good as I can make it.

Ct Don

[This message has been edited by Ct Don (edited 01 March 2006).]

+ Reply to Thread