+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wading Boots - Required?

Hybrid View

Question Wading Boots - Required?

I'm a frequent fly-fisher, but mostly I fish from the bank of small streams that can either be jumped or stepped across. I do have a pair of boot-foot neoprene waders that I use occasionally in larger streams, but they are heavy, hot, and do not fit well. I'm aware that the modern standard for fishing waders is waterproof-breathable, with stocking-feet. These do seem attractive, and I've been tempted to buy a pair, but I've never been able to understand the thinking about wading boots.

Rock Slide.jpg

When I look at waders for sale, I see they typically range from $100 up to about $400 or so, with most of the difference in things like how many pockets, whether the knees are reinforced, and how many layers of material are used. What doesn't make sense is that most outlets that sell waders, even the budget variety that are below $100, also sell wading boots. These boots are typically over $100. So now my budget pair of waders, instead of costing $100, actually cost over $200 with boots considered. The cost of boots is less significant compared to the higher-end waders, but even there, the cost of boots must be considered as part of the total budget.

Here's my question: is it total heresy to just use old sneakers with a pair of waders? Will sneakers that fit my feet with just socks still work over wader booties, or will I need a bigger size? I'm aware of the safety hazard with sneakers on slippery rocks, but are expensive wading boots (that restrict lower leg motion and use hard, slippery rubber) any better? Much of the time I wade, it is wet wading in the warmer months, and my old sneakers do just fine, if I'm careful. And if I do get a pair of boots, what else are they good for, or are they a single-use item?

What do you think?
    And wherever the river goes, every living creature that swarms will live, and there will be very many fish. Ezekiel 47:9

Blog Entries

waskeyc,

I use breathable waders year round on large rivers except in July and August, the hot months. That is mainly based on the temp of the water not so much on the temp of the air. On very small streams like what you showed, waders are not really needed. Wet wading is fine. I either wear wading sandals or wading shoes with felt soles. I use the wading shoes if I feel I will need some ankle support while walking over fist sized rocks and such. One advantage that waders do have is they help keep the ticks off you, as long as you keep them brushed off your upper body. When wet wading I tuck the cuffs of my long pants into my socks or use a strap to close off the bottom, as a means of tick control. I hate ticks with a passion. An old pair of tennis shoes can work just fine but they usually tend to be slippery on wet mossy rocks. My wading boots also came with rubber soles but they have spikes in the to grab on the slippery stuff. Not my first choice to use but they work.

Larry ---sagefisher---

one thing to consider is that wading boots GENERALLY do better at keeping out sand, gravel, and debris than do sneakers. Even with good wading boots and gravel gaitors/cuffs, a lot of sand and junk gets into the boots. The more sand and abrasive junk that gets into your boots/sneakers, the faster it wears through the neoprene booties.
    To the simpleton, proof does not matter once emotion takes hold of an issue.

Not necessarily a recommendation but in "the old days" we would glue out door carpeting to the soles of our sneakers.

In "the old days", as ducksterman says, I used an old pair of high top basketball shoes. They were slippery as heck, but somehow I survived. If you go that route, I would glue felt to the soles. You would probably want a size bigger than normal. Too tight wading shoes lead to cramped toes and cold feet. I also remember guys getting Vietnam era "jungle boots", grinding the lugs off the soles and gluing on felt or carpet. By the time you do all that you might as well buy dedicated wading boots.

I think there are still economy wading boots available or look around for closeouts etc.

I have no experience with these and they probably don't provide much ankle support but if you happen to be a size 8 or 10: http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabel...h-All+Products

I wonder if a pair of wellies/rubber boots would work.

Ed

i have a friend that quit buying wading boots. He buys inexpensive hiking boots large enough to fit over the wader booties. He says they last as long as other wading boots he has bought. It probably depends on how slippery your streams are

+ Reply to Thread