Weekly Fraser Valley Sport fishing column; June 9 to 16, 2014

In keeping with Father?s Day, I have chosen to open this week?s column with the word of Norman MacLean, from his book a River Runs Though It.

?In our family there was no clear line between religion and fly fishing. We lived at the junction of great trout rivers in western Montana, and our father was a Presbyterian Minister and a fly fisherman, who tied his own flies and taught others.?

In my family there are three constants Christianity, fishing, and writing. Both my Grandfathers were accomplished fishermen and passed their love of the sport on to me. One was a preacher, the other a fly fisherman, I am both. My gift for writing came from my father. My children are skilled fly fishers, fly tiers, writers, councilors, and singers. Do these gifts manifest on their own? No, they are learned by observance, practice, and encouragement. One much wiser than I wrote;

?Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.?

What are you doing with the children in your house? Children are a blessing, not a burden; a responsibility not a nuisance. They are growing up, and will do it with you or without you. How do you want to be remembered? I know it?s easier said than done; I am well schooled in the fire walk through the teen years, I did it twice. This coming weekend our provincial government will be doing something to help you out. It is called the Free (no license needed) Family Fishing Weekend. This is your chance to make some great memories. There will be events and venues to make this opportunity even better, in most communities, all over the province. All you have to do is google search, BC?s Family Fishing Weekend, show up, and participate with your kids.

So what is it going to be this year Dad? Is it going to be just another Father?s Day or a Father?s Day of Life Long Good Memories?

The Report

Fishing on our lower mainland lakes is good. For wet (sinking) fly fishing try: Chironomid, Wooly Bugger, Zulu, Baggy Shrimp, Dragonfly Nymph, Doc Spratley, or Halfback Nymph. For dry (floating) fly fishing try: Griffith Gnat, Renegade, or Elk hair Caddis. For kokanee try: Bloodworm, San Juan Worm, Red Ibis, Red Spratley, or Kokanee killer.

The bass and pan fishing is very good. For bass try: Big Black, Clouser?s Deep Minnow, Lefty?s Deceiver, Dolly Whacker, Wooly Bugger, Pumpkinhead, Gomphus Bug, Popin Bug, Foam Frog, Chernobyl Ant, or Stimulator. For Pan fish try: Wooly Bugger, Bloodworm, Chironomid, Micro Leach, Halfback, Pumpkinhead, Dolly Whacker, Tied Down Minnow, Popin Bug, or Chernobyl Ant.

Our interior lakes are good. Try: Bloodworm, Chironomid, Pumpkinhead, Big Black, Micro Leach, 52 Buick, Sixpack, Butlers Bug, Dragon Nymph, Green Spratley, or Baggy Shrimp, for fishing wet. For dry fly action try: Lady McConnel, Big Ugly, Black Gnat, Ton Thumb, or Irresistible.

Our lower mainland creeks and sloughs are good. For cutthroat and rainbow try: Professor, American Coachman, Mickey Finn, Tied Down Minnow, Rolled Muddler, Borden?s Special, Dolly Whacker, Czech Nymph, Stone Nymph, Big Black, Zulu, Soubou, Hares Ear Nymph, Stimulator, or Irresistible.