+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite carp fly?

Default Favorite carp fly?

I'm sure this has been covered many times but what is your favorite carp fly? As strange as this may sound, I've done better on what I think of as a drowned terrestrial. Specifically, a bee pattern fished like a nymph under the surface. What about you?

hNt
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

Blog Entries

I have never targeted Carp but the three I have caught (and man can they fight) were all on streamers when I was Smallmouth Bass fishing.

Great fun. I hear Woolly Buggers work good.

Larry ---sagefisher---

Been chasing carp with the fly rod for years, my best performer and an easy tie, is a pine squirrel leach pattern. The fly is totally unweighted

I've been targeting carp for about 8 years now and will catch them on any trout pattern that looks brown or olive and buggy, but my favorite overall pattern is a bead head prince nymph. Nothing excites me more than to see a mud puff and tail, and then cast to where I think his head should be, and then watching that line cut through the water as he heads deep like a run-away train.

#12 white woolie bugger.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill-B'klyn View Post
    #12 white woolie bugger.
    I also prefer white and it's not so much the pattern that makes the big difference, it's the color. The color is also not for the fish but for me.

Unlike some, I hardly ever feel a fish take the fly. The carp that I catch don't strike a bait. They inhale it while standing still and if they don't like it they spit it out. One of the BIGGEST secrets in taking carp on the fly consistently is that if you are waiting for a strike like a bass, trout, panfish - you ARE missing a whole of fish. I wear polarized glasses and see the fish eat, then cross their eyeballs with a solid hook set. I can see white the best so it is very successful for me.

Try tying your favorite patterns in white.

1602 NE 180th Ter Smithville MO 64089-9120.

Blind Squirrel!

I've done well on the local reservoir with a white mylar woolly bugger too. With a pink brass beadhead. I don't think the pink is the key, its just what I was using. The main forage is shad, so the carp are accustomed to seeing white. That being said, my buddy has caught almost all his carp from this same reservoir on a BLACK woolly bugger!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

I read an article yesterday on here somewhere, that the author discussed the colors he found best from his journal. The number #1 color for him was Olive 35% of the bites came off of that color. Number #2 was black, can't remember what was after that.

Actually I can see black pretty good too. I see black better than brown color in the waters that I fish (off colored to stained - browns and greens disappear to me).

+ Reply to Thread