+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dace=creek chub?!?

Hybrid View

Default Dace=creek chub?!?

After a comment in another post I googled a dace. Some of the images appears to resemble a creek chub! I may have to research a little further, but it appears there may be some irregularities going on. I just wonder if this is just a bit of mass confusion, utter nonsense or the effects of a diabolical swamp witch spell?

Hmmmm,
    hNt
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

Apparently, Canadians call creek chubs "dace".

"Dace" is really not much more than just a generic word for "minnow", although some species have the word in the their common name (e.g. rosy sided dace, black nose dace.)

The word "chub" isn't much more exact -- you can't point to a single genus or family and "these are the chubs".
    Bob

Unless I'm mistaken, like that's never happened(lol), 'All dace are creek chubs, but not all creek chubs are dace'.

Allan

In the other thread, it was meant as a joke! I cannot believe we are having shack nasties in June. Lay down the phone, I Pad or mouse, grab a rod and go fishing!!

Brad
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

Brad, come eat some fresh bluegill tacos! All fly caught, C&R into Lake Crisco... So you know they're legit. Better yet, come help fill a basket and then eat em. Shack nasties have no need to show up whenever you can GO FISH! (Even if it is for rainbow creek chubs)
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

Quote Originally Posted by quivira kid View Post
    <snip>. Shack nasties have no need to show up whenever you can GO FISH! (Even if it is for rainbow creek chubs)
    Kid,

I applaud your logic and philosophy.

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by redietz View Post
    Apparently, Canadians call creek chubs "dace".

"Dace" is really not much more than just a generic word for "minnow", although some species have the word in the their common name (e.g. rosy sided dace, black nose dace.)

The word "chub" isn't much more exact -- you can't point to a single genus or family and "these are the chubs".
    Excuse me? There IS a very defined genus/family of chubs ... the rainbow creek chubs found exclusively in the Black Hills. In addition to being exclusive they are elusive, too. Kaboom .... I wouldn't joke about something like this! Swamp Witches are like that! Most diabolical!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Betty Hiner View Post
    Excuse me? There IS a very defined genus/family of chubs ... the rainbow creek chubs found exclusively in the Black Hills. In addition to being exclusive they are elusive, too. Kaboom .... I wouldn't joke about something like this! Swamp Witches are like that! Most diabolical!
    You are most definitely my favorite swamp witch Betty! LOL. There are no shack nasties here, I'm only trying to have a little fun during a really rough time right now. FAOL is the best!

hNt
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

When speaking of an area like the Driftless Lands, the reference to spotted dace is because there are no trout in WI. Many times the "spotted Dace" reference is just a good humored way of saying trout without saying trout. Having trapped and sold minnows for several years I can tell you a lot about the dace family, but suffice to say if they fit in a trout's mouth he'll eat it.

Now, that's just really sad. To think someone would intentionally hide the fact that there are lovely trouts somewhere by calling them dace .... My goodness ...
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

+ Reply to Thread