+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Guide breaks my rod, and then loses it... what do I do now?

Angry Guide breaks my rod, and then loses it... what do I do now?

Avoid my misfortune, please!

First guided trip. Ever. Before the first cast was even thrown, guide stringing up my rod snapped the top 4th piece.

Specifically asked if the rod should be broken down for transport, was told no need. As we reached the float point, I noticed the tip of my rod was bent along his windshield, not thinking much of it at the moment. Only realizing now that that was probably the cause for the tip breaking. Guide drove and roads were rough, rod tip taking all the bumps while bent along the windshield. Definitely could've been avoided and I'm partly to blame for over trusting a "professional." Kind of a PSA to myself as well: always listen and do what's best for your own gear regardless of what others say.

Needless to say, sucks. Missed my biggest fish of all time, having to use an unfamiliar rod with mismatched line weight. Kinda soured my 1st time out on a floated guide trip.

The guide obviously felt bad but there was nothing he could do at this point as we were already on our way down the river. He had a spare 6wt rod mismatched to my floating 5wt line.
    I paid the full price plus a 20% tip. I'm not going to short someone on their living. But it sure was a costly lesson for me.

Guide offered to send my rod back to the factory to which I agreed. Lo' and behold today, I find out the guide sent my rod in the aluminum tube, without taping it, boxing it, or securing it in any fashion. Tube arrives with cap missing, and tube completely empty. Rod is gone.

What do I do now?

I would request that the guide replace the rod, and then not use that guide anymore. JMO, but a "professional" who makes the offer to send the rod in for repair and does not package it properly, he should offer to refund 100% of cost of the trip as well. JMO. Sorry for your bad experience.

Blog Entries

The guide should have insurance that would cover this. Check with him about that.

Larry ---sagefisher---

Blog Entries

i agree with larry check into his insurence

The guide owes you a rod.

This is just my opinion - The guide needs to sincerely apologize to you for his mistake and either refund your money for the trip or purchase you another fly rod of equal value. If he had done the above immediately, you would be posting how great he was and recommending his service to others. From reading your post, I would say this "guide" is someone who decided to be a "guide" for the money and has had no training or experience and I have to assume he is on his own and not connected to any fly shop or outfitter.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

As far as that individual guide goes he has his head hiding in a dark place. A guy who pays so little attention to details has no place hiring himself out as one who can guide, mentor and instruct others. Is he licensed?

Is this the guy?

A real guide would have already dealt with this appropriately. He owes you a new rod, exact replacement or closest model to it. You should not even ahve to ask.

Tip? Why would you tip? For me, I don't care who it is! a tip in NOT mandatory.
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

+ Reply to Thread