Wow! I figured when there was no response you'd been taken care of. As Betty has said the time for being nice has come and gone and it's time to put the screws to the lodge/outfitter and the guide. Open up a conversation via phone first with the owner of the lodge/outfitter with whom you arranged the guide. Depending on how that goes you'll know if you need to bring in the big guns and go to the Better Business Bureau, etc. My assumption is the lodge/outfitter are aware of the situation and that you've kept them in the loop with how things have gone. If you haven't involved them yet you need to do so ASAP. While I hate suggesting it I'd also involve your credit card company as you may be able to at least dispute the charge on the fishing trip as a means of getting the guide or lodge/outfitter to take responsibility for the broken rod.

At the end of the day it is highly unlikely that UPS will do anything as the guide didn't purchase additional insurance on the shipment (at least this has been my experience). Now they'll look into what happened, but at the end of the day their liability is only to refund the shipping cost, if they find the item was damaged/lost due to a fault on their end. So regardless of whose fault it is that the rod is missing you are out your rod unless the guide or lodge/outfitter steps up and takes responsibility to replace the rod.

The best advice I can give is to contact the owner of the lodge/shop with exactly the resolution you expect and then stick to that regardless of what they say. It is their responsibility to resolve it and make you whole and how they handle this situation will give a good view into how they view their customers.