+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lucky Accidents

Hybrid View

Default Lucky Accidents

Late last week I started off the evening flyfishing a local public pond for bass. Had one tiny bass follow the big topwater. Switched to flyfishing for Crappies and Bluegills, and started catching plenty of fish, including a few bass.

Then I saw some Grass Carp in the shallows, and started fishing for them. I was watching a Grass Carp near my fly, when this invisible fish hit...a nice chunky 20" Largemouth Bass!

Later, after I finally spooked the Grass Carp, I switched back to catching crappies and bluegills, then put on an unweighted chartreuse Woolly Bugger to cast around an area where I suspected a bass might be. Instead, a big fish (not quite Grass Carp-sized) hit and headed for deeper water, spooking some other large fish. It turned out to be a 26" Channel Catfish!

I wish I could actually catch what I'm fishing for, but since I can't its nice to catch some big fish by accident once in awhile!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Dave, I have never caught a catfish on a flyrod on purpose or very many largemouth bass, to be perfectly truthful. But I have enjoyed the battles with them very much in each case. Congratulations on the harvest.

BTW, that bass is not invisible, I can see her in the photo just fine.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Nice fish. You have to be on the water to have a chance at those accidents

Nice fish and sounds like you had a great time! Just curious - do you always have two rods with you or are you just switching spools with different weight lines on them?
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Warren,
    Good question! I'm not that fancy yet...I try to keep my flyfishing simple. Its the same reel and line... The line is an Airflo 40-Plus line. The front end is white, and the back end is orange. In the catfish picture, I displayed poor line management and did not put the extra line on the reel during the fight. Then when I dragged the fish up the bank to somewhere flat so it wouldn't flop back into the water, all that white line trailed out behind me so all you see is the orange line on the reel, although you can see a bit of the white part of the line in front of the catfish's head. The color transition zone is behind the fish apparently.

I get partial points...I DID put the bass on the reel.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

I would take accidents like that.
    Rick

Dave,

I give you all the points because you did land both fish and that was your goal. Who cares how the book states you should land the fish. From what you stated and after looking at the pictures again, I can see the color change in the line. Both are very nice fish and I know they were fun to catch. Job well done....
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

+ Reply to Thread