+ Reply to Thread

Thread: THE PLUNGE - Whipfinish - Jun 02, 2014

Blog Entries

Default THE PLUNGE - Whipfinish - Jun 02, 2014

THE PLUNGE

As most fly fishermen know, spend any amount of time on the water and eventually you will take the plunge. Not the type of plunge as in going to bamboo rods, high-end gear or two-handed spey casting. I'm referring to the literal "plunge" where one's self gets fully immersed in the waters we wade. Some get that initiation out of the way as a novice just learning to wade. In this case you are lucky and have an excuse. You didn't know any better, "I'll never make that mistake again" often applies to this situation. Hence, you save face to a large degree, but for others it often comes later in our fly fishing journey.

Ralph

I so enjoy reading your article your good humor and love for the sport shine through your words.
    I took a quick dip the last time I was out for trout. My mantra is wade or fish" but even after all these years I still occasionally get caught wading while I am still fishing
    Last edited by okflyfisher; 06-02-2014 at 04:46 PM.

I bank fish, I don't wade, and even bank fishing is not "plunge-free". Of course, I fully admit to being clumsy. Still better to get wet fishing than staying dry at home watching the tube.

Paul

Blog Entries

My first plunge was in the Madison River of Montana. I thought I could sort of jump from one rock to another when I was in waist deep water. You can't. I can't. I didn't. I went in over my head but kept all my gear. I figure I was baptized on the Madison.

Larry ---sagefisher---

"I'll never make that mistake again" moment came last summer. I took a full plunge in my smallie river and got really damp but decided to fish on. A couple of hours later when I took off my waders I discovered that my cell phone was still in my pants pocket. Water ran out of it when I pulled it out of my pocket and no amount of rice in a bag could bring it back to life. That was the only time in many years that the cell phone was left in my pocket and one of two times I have taken a plunge. Great timing huh? It was a dumb phone so it only cost me about $100 to replace but I will never make that mistake again.

Nice stories.
    I took a plunge while fishing with Mike Thomas and Jeff Hamm in New Zealand a few years ago. Mike had crossed the river at a spot upcreek from us. I asked him where to cross and thought he said cross here mate. What he said was not here mate. I went into a hole and did a topsy turvy thing around the bend. Jeff waded out and asked, You need a hand mate. Yes please, said I. I thought it was all cool but as I was pulling off my waders Jeff had his camera out. No one gets away, he said. That night I was a funny story with pictures on FAOL.
    I did have my cell phone in a zip lock baggy thanks to Mike.
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

+ Reply to Thread