+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pheasant Tail

Hybrid View

Allen you're 100% correct. My reasoning for the post was to see what other people may be using instead of traditional material to tie some of the great patterns. I like to learn of different materials and sometimes wonder what others might be using. We could use same materials snd tie same fly differently anyways. The reference to the fly I'm looking to imitate lets people know what I'm wanting my fly to look like and imitate.

Cheers
    Brandon

AlanB Guest

Another example of Allen's point. The Gold Ribbed Hare's Ear was originally a dry fly, that's how I was introduced to it. I still tie and fish them as dry flies. There are older wet flies that have a hare's ear fur body ribbed with gold, such as Hare's Lug 'n' Plover. The Gold Ribbed Hare's Ear pre dates artificial flies that are described as "nymphs", which is a relatively modern usage. The Gold Ribbed Hare's Ear Nymph is the fly most people will recognise. The laziness of dropping the "nymph" part of the name has almost cost us a very effective fly.

Brandon, your fly may turn out to be very, very good. If you call it a Pheasant tail, who will get the credit for first tying it? Please give it a name of it's own then we will all know it for what it is, and who created it.

Cheers,
    A.

Blog Entries

Very interesting....Here I thought the "real" PT Nymph was tied without thread.....

I tie PTN with different colors of PT feathers. Also at times I take I barb of several colors ad tie a PTN.
    Also use Turkey feather to make a darker nymph.
    Called TURKEY TAL NYMPH
    Have also used ostrich for the thorax.
    All have worked.
    Rick

Blog Entries

This is an old, grainy video of Frank Sawyer tying.
    I think you will note that he uses only copper wire....no thread for the "real" PT Nymph.

http://youtu.be/416Os9V84n8

I'm with Allan on this.
    Calling a dry with light dun tails, a yellowish body, and light dun hackle and wings a BWO doesn't work for me.

There's a line out there somewhere.

Boy I truly appologize for my blatant mistake on the PTN. From everything I had seen that was how you tied the PTN. However I didn't use any pheasant tail in my pattern, but rather two different types of thread for the body with either peacock herl thorax, or mahogany mottled nymph dubbing. My purpose in the title was not necessarily to mean it's a PTN, but rathee a different variation. I will fish them and see which one I like most and see which one I like and rename it as to avoid confusion, but if I were to simply post the fly by another name maybe no one knows what it's auppossd to replicate. I'm not near as good a tier as most on this forum and seldom share my thoughts or ideas because I'm very self conscience of my work. I did this because I actually really liked the final product, and figured I could get some ideas from other tiers. Maybe i should just stick to furling. I appreciate the different ideas some have shared.

Cheers
    Brandon

Blog Entries

Hey,

I will take a large tub of buttered popcorn and a Pepsi, Please! This is getting good.

Larry ---sagefisher---

Brandon -

A number of years ago, I tied a variation of the PTN, initially for use on the Missouri River, that I, and several friends, called the "Misery".

It was tied on a curved shank Tiemco 200 or 200R hook, with a long splayed tail of natural dun barbules, pheasant tail body reinforced with fine copper wire, a pearl crystal flash wing case, tied off at the eye, but leaving about 1/8" or so of the front ends of crystal flash extending upward in an emerger style. The thread color was burnt orange.

The fly caused Misery for a number of fish, but brought us fishermen nothing but joy and satisfaction in the process of catching them

Personally, I don't care a bit what any fly is called, and I suspect that many, if not most, flies had already been "invented" by earlier generations of fly tyers long before some younger tyer came along and named it as though he had invented it. All that I really care about is how a fly is tied, and if it catches fish. A name is only a point of reference, in my opinion, to give us some indication of its description, and not the final word in how it can, must, or shall be tied.

John,

I completely agree with your final comment: "A name is only a point of reference, in my opinion, to give us some indication of its description, and not the final word in how it can, must, or shall be tied". But, you either have to get the name right and be speaking the same language. Example: You and a friend are going to a highly recommended river. Now, sometimes getting information about a particular pattern is like playing telephone. You learned of this river through a friend of a friend of a friend. So you contact this last friend and ask what he'd recommend you guys tying. He's not available but another friend, who works at the same shop, recommends a size 16 PTN. Great you guys tie up a sh*tload of PTNs. And just to be on the safe side you tie them up in 14, 16 and 18. Then you get to the river and get skunked that first day you go to the shop and speak to the 'friend'. He shows you the 'killer' and it's the 'Misery'. All you guys could muster to say, probably under your breaths was, 'Why didn't he just say so?"
    So yes, a name is a point of reference and sometimes it's exact. However, often the words have meaning beyond the norm and that's where they need to be specified. Just another quick example: On the W. Branch Del. there's a good hatch of sulphurs with an orange body. If someone suggested I tie up some sulphurs for a trip up there, unless the tier new the area he'd not use orange for the body.

Regards.

Allan

+ Reply to Thread