+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Liljoe and I went bluegill fishing today....

Default Liljoe and I went bluegill fishing today....

Since the surgeon who performed my rotator cuff surgery released me and told me to use my shoulder and arm in moderation, I took Liljoe to Bedford Lake to see if I would be able to paddle my NuCanoe and put Liljoe on some nice bluegill and was successful with both. Liljoe also got a new 4wt fly rod, reel and line and he wanted to "break it in" and that we did. Even with the wind coming from the East, we did catch some good bluegill and I had a good time with Liljoe. Tomorrow we will meet with Jack and Wayne and trout fish the Elk River. Here are pictures of a couple of the bluegill we caught, Liljoe and his new rod and reel:

Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Good report, glad you are able to get out again and get some fishing time in.

Nice Blue gills, and I really like the new rod and reel.

Wayne

It appears two fishermen in the 12 ft. Nucanoe worked pretty well.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Jesse,

In my opinion, I think 2 spinner/casting fishermen in a 12' NuCanoe would be no problem, but, 2 fly fishermen would need to be mindful of each other when making a cast. In Liljoe and my case, it is not as much a problem since I am right handed and he is left handed. I just try to maintain the boat where we are fishing off the left hand side. On this particular trip I "played" trolling motor for Liljoe and just tried to keep him on where I thought the fish might be. I wanted Liljoe to have a good time plus I wanted to see if paddling my NuCanoe Frontier 12 would cause me any problems with my shoulder. I also wanted to see if my latest mod to the Frontier was going to work and it worked great! Since I have anchors front and rear and control both from where I am sitting, I always have a lot of anchor rope in the bottom of the boat which is usually tangled up. I saw a DIY post on the NuCanoe Forum where a guy purchased a Minky Clothes line retriever and he removed the vinyl clothes line from it and spliced in his anchor rope and now the anchor rope is always contained within the unit. Here is a picture of what I did:

I installed one for each anchor and put them on both sides of the seat where I sit. As I pull up the anchor, the anchor rope is retrieved into the clothes line retriever. Worked pretty slick.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

That's brilliant! I have my anchor rope on a plastic rack used for winding/storing extension cord. there's still extra line in the bottom of the boat. I'm gonna try this on my kayak. Thanks for the tip!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

I would say two fly fishers in a 12 foot boat is doable but you do have to watch who's casting when. I did it with a 6 & 8 year old in a 14 foot boat. We did have some problems some times but it was not to bad. I fish out of an 18 ft boat now and still have a problem every now and then.

Knucks

+ Reply to Thread