+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sun Gloves?

Default Sun Gloves?

I need a new pair of gloves. These will not be used in cold weather. I need something for sun protection. Yes, I care about price, but want something that lasts too. I have a several day outting and wearing sunscreen is fine, but I think that I want to try some gloves for this particular trip. I leave soon, so have to order something on Monday. Thanks for a push in the right direction?

I have 2 pair of glacier gloves and they work fine for shielding my hands when I wear them--I actually hate wearing any type of gloves while I'm fishing, be it wool gloves when steel head fishing in the winter or the lighter gloves for sun in the summer. I generally just slather on the sunscreen and go gloveless.

STP has a number of them on sale now for 45% off:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/pro...-gloves~d~110/

I always wear gloves; fleece fingerless in cold weather, and sun gloves (current pair are from Glacier, I think) when it's warm. Protects my hands from the sun and protects the fish from me (I make sure I get my hands wet before I touch the fish).

Regards,
    Scott

I always wear sun gloves when fishing in the tropics and just recently started wearing them when fishing near home in Colorado. I have some by Dr. Shade that I like quite a bit and some by Buff that are okay. One issue that I had not anticipated was getting small trout fly size hooks stuck in the fabric. I pinch the barbs of all my hooks, but there can always be a little remnant that catches in the sun glove fabric and doesn't want to let go. The denser fabric of the Dr. Shade gloves seems to have less problem with this than the Buff fabric.

Ted

I don't wear them, but I have a friend who has the earlier generation Simms gloves and has had great luck with them. He fishes quite a bit and I think it has been something like eight or ten years that he's had them before finally commenting this year that he probably needs another pair. I Googled them and it looks like Sierra Trading Post has them on closeout at a pretty good price: http://www.sierratradingpost.com/sim...colorFamily=02

I've been using this brand for years:

http://www.burfish.com/catalog/3377.html

20 minutes from the Great Smoky Mountains N.P. and lots of cool water fishing.

Go to any place that has golf equipment and get a right and left glove, cabareta leather preferably. Sun protection without losing feel in the fingers. Can be found rather inexpensive at Wally World ~ $20 per pair.
    Gordon
    Live every day as if it were your last.

I bought an inexpensive pair from Cabela's, I think. They work fine, and I've had them for years.

Randy

Mine are Orvis... Started using them far to late in life... same with long sleeve shirts...
    Never trust quotes you find on the internet.
    Thomas Jefferson

+ Reply to Thread