+ Reply to Thread

Thread: building my first rod

1. Default building my first rod

Just got an Austin 9' 6wt two piece. Got the guides and grip and reel seat in the mail as well. Was hoping someone who had built on one of these blanks in the past might post the guide spacing they used. I have found a few online just interested in what someone who had actually built on this rod used. Thanks

I've built a lot of rods, and my suggestion, and what I use, is go to [url=http://www.sageslt.com:06b2d]www.sageslt.com[/url:06b2d] and look up their eye spacing charts, thats all I've used. The more you look online, the more different answers you will get.

Guide spacing will be a little different for the different tapers of the rod, so that would explain the difference one finds at the different sites or by following the recommendations of manufacturers. True even in graphite rods, fiberglass or whatever. I found this source of information a few years ago, and while I primarily build bamboo, I have found this to work pretty good on graphite as well. This site allows you to enter the ferrule locations, then plot the guides based on a few parameters. It is always a good idea to run this, then tape the guides on securely, lace up the rod with line and see what the curve of the rod looks like under a simulated load. You can also use the site to mic the taper of the rod, enter the numbers and see what the stress curve looks like on a chart...pretty cool stuff.

[url=http://www.uwm.edu/~stetzer/guideN.html:8e28b]http://www.uwm.edu/~stetzer/guideN.html[/url:8e28b]

Dleo,
    You are a great source of information!
    Thanks again and again and again.
    Quinn

------------------
    God Blesses!
    A wing & a Prayer! ----*<(((><~ ~ ~ ~
    Quinn
    "I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy nobody but him, and him only that catches more fish than I do." Izaak Walton
    God Bless and Tight Lines ----*<(((>< ~ ~ ~

Dleo,

So far I thought I was the only one to write a program to do that! I've never understood why builders would use someones else's Chart.

I wrote a program using the Dale Clemens formula back in the 80's in GW Basic. I got tired of calculating it by hand. I just recently upgraded the program to VB.Net.

------------------
    --------
    Let No One Walk Alone
    ><))))'>------<'((((><
    Bill
    Let No One Walk Alone
    <*)))))><{----------}><((((*>

Bill,
    I never was good enough with software to do anything like that and was always thankful for those of you that were. Sure would like to have a copy of yours to run. Bills program and Waynes are similar but there are enough differences to make them worthwhile. The other thing about hexa rod that I like is that you can load a taper into it, and creat a graph of the rod under load which I though was pretty cool. I have never saved a profile in there but I did load a couple of graphite tapers in there once and the stress curve was way up there and pretty flat for one of them while the other looked like a straight line. Gotta be a message in there somewhere.....

dleo6446,

You have mail.

------------------
    --------
    Let No One Walk Alone
    ><))))'>------<'((((><
    Bill
    Let No One Walk Alone
    <*)))))><{----------}><((((*>

Bill, thank you thank you thank you! that is really cool. I will play with that some and use it instead of having to log on every time I need to calculate guide spacings! I envy your talents with the programming!

Leo de

+ Reply to Thread