+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hook eye?

Default Hook eye?

Does the angle of the eye of the hook really matter? Most of the pictures I've seen of SBS instructions show the eye at a downward angle.

No one in my town carries this type of hook. For me to get some I have to order them or drive 40 min to an hour and a half to a store that has some.

So does it really matter?

No.

It really doesn't matter.

Tie your flies on whichever hook you have that will give you the size and action you want.

Fly tying isn't a science. Recipes are just guidelines.

Use what you have and enjoy.

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Down eye hooks work well for the Elk Hair Caddis as it's easy to bury the eye of a straight eye hook.

Blog Entries

Previous discussion of the topic

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/s...raight-or-down.

I prefer a straight eyed hook for any type of pattern. Pure speculation, but I think down eyed hooks come from a time when the fly needed to be snelled onto the leader, a step up from the spade head. Like snake guides they've become part of fly fishing tradition. Fortunately, for me, most companies that produce "fly tying" hooks have straight eyed hooks for the various styles needed for trout patterns. Once I get into the larger panfish, bass/pike/muskie and salt water patterns I'll switch to conventional hooks, Aberdeen style crappie hooks, mosquito hooks, drop shot hooks, straight shanked worm hooks, jig hooks and treble hooks. Don't sweat it if you don't have down eyed hooks.

Quote Originally Posted by Philly View Post
    Pure speculation, but I think down eyed hooks come from a time when the fly needed to be snelled onto the leader, a step up from the spade head. Like snake guides they've become part of fly fishing tradition.
    Partly (it is largely due to tradition.) It had nothing to do with snelled flies, but everything to do with the Turle knot, which doesn't work at all with a straight eyed hook. Since I still use that knot on rare occasions, I'll stick with the down eye. If you use some other knot, a straight eyed hook works just as well, or perhaps better in some cases.
    Bob

Typically matters more to the tier than the efficacy of the fly. There are some cases where a straight/up/down/jig eye are preferred due to tradition, the size of the pattern, or how the pattern is presented, but as far as hooking ability, the point is for the most part moot.

I typically use straight eye for sizes 18 and smaller hooks to give more clearance when tying. otherwise I prefer down eyes although I have read from those who have performed unscientific tests that there is no significant differences in hooking chances

And what about Atlantic Salmon flies with their up-eye?

+ Reply to Thread