+ Reply to Thread

Thread: American Matrix Blanks?

Default American Matrix Blanks?

I would like to know if anyone here has used American Matrix blanks? They have the particulars I'm looking for (at least they seem to in the Common Cents database, I've never seen one for real).
    They are certainly inexpensive enough that my wife wouldn't raise an eyebrow if I ordered one!
    In the pictures I've seen in catalogs and on the net they look somewhat gaudy.
    But I know that pictures are not the real thing, and they might actually be classy!

Anyways, I'm leaning strongly towards those or Batson blanks for for my next rod.
    Any opinions on the Matrix blanks?

Charlie

I just built a 5 piece matrix in a 7 1/2' 4 wt for a friend that wanted a rod he could pack with. The action is good and it is a nice looking blank with an emerald color. I havent weight it yet but just guessing, in the 2.5 ounce range. I did notice a little sloppiness in the ferrule fittings between the butt and the second section but that was easily remedied with a little light sanding and re-epoxying of the tip of the butt section. I was surprised with the final action of the rod as it casts great and I didn't notice the usual stiffness of most 5 piece blanks compared to like a 2 piece blank. I chose this one over others just to see if the Matrix was a viable choice when others were not availabe and I would build them again.

To JC's post and comments, it is always nice to stay with someone that you know and trust, and the folks at Batson Enterprises are just that. A family business like what the Batsons have built will always be there for you when you need them. Take a good long look at the line of forecast components that they have, I like their skeleton reel seats and use them when I can get them.

[This message has been edited by dleo6446 (edited 24 February 2006).]

Have built two, very straight, nice finish, no problems, definitely not gaudy. You hardly notice the weave unless you're up close, it only extends about 2' up the butt section

Thanks for the info and opinions.
    I appreciate it.

Charlie

+ Reply to Thread