I might have used this one before:

Memorable, not really "strange" and may not quite fit into the category "while you were fishing", more like "while you were camping" stories, but it does involve "fishing". Anyway, in the early to mid-80's my parent's would take me and my cousin camping at Worthington State Forest in NJ, it was along the Delaware River. Back then, the main road to get there had washed out and you had to get there by going way out of the way, so the campground was not too popular and my parents were able to get a campsite right on the river. One trip my cousin brought a small, homemade toy sailboat (think of the simple sailboat kits, flat piece of wood shaped in a rounded triangular shape, dowel and a paper sail). I don't know if the kit included the hook on the bottom because you were supposed to tie some kind of weight to it for stability or if my cousin added it, but before bedtime, he tied a leader with a fishing hook on it, approx. 6" long or so, tied the boat to a nearby tree and let the boat float while we slept, but he did not bait the hook. Woke up the next morning, my cousin went to check his boat while I went down to throw rocks and he called me over excitedly. There was a tiny dead fish hooked by the fishing hook under the boat. It was about the smallest fish that could bite the hook, no longer than 2" long. No one, especially my dad, thought that an un-baited hook in rigged like it was would catch a fish, surprised us all.

Still remember it as if it were yesterday.

Paul