+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New To Boo

Hybrid View

Default New To Boo

Hey folks!!
    Been a while since I've been on here. I recently purchased a new Sweetgrass Mantra Penta 7' 4wt. I test cast a couple lines when I bought it but ended up with a Wulff TriangleTaper line on my new Hardy Bougle' reel. I will probably fish mostly small drys and maybe some small BH midges on it too.

What I need to know from the experienced bamboo guys is what length and types of leaders along with flylines to use for my application. I'll be fishing medium sized MO spring streams. I have a thread furled leader on it now but it may be too long at 5'6". By the time I tie on a tippet it pushes longer than the rod length.

I know I have a little bit of slowing down to do also coming from a Winston BIIT but not a ton. Any advice to a newbie to bamboo would be appreciated on taking care of the rod would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Rich

The main things about taking care it that's different from a graphite rod is to make sure you never put it away wet, and don't twist the rod to separate the ferrules. (Pull straight.) You might also occasionally play a fish with the rod upside down (i.e. with the reel up) to help prevent a "set" in the tip. I'm not sure how that plays out with a penta, though since they're not symmetrical. Other than that, it's the usual: watch out for car doors, ice in the guides, etc.

Use whatever leader set up you would use with the Winston. I fish mostly spring creeks and tailwater with cane; I usually start out with 9' tapered leader, add three feet of 5x, and go down from there as needed. You may not need to go that long.

You can find a ton of information on the Classic Fly Rod Forum http://classicflyrodforum.com.
    Bob

I would suggest you pick up a copy of John Gierach's book Fishing Bamboo.
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

Welcome to world of cane, my friend. It's your first, but likely not the last! Re. leaders: I'm a believer that the leader should match the fishing at hand, not so much the length of the rod. I agree with redietz- use what you've been using, unless you find a reason to change. As far as lines are concerned- if the triangle taper works well, you're set to go. After fishing it for a while, it'll either be perfect for the rod, or not. Don't worry too much about that right now. -Chuck

I use a 9' leader for almost all of my trout fishing.
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

Well I signed up on the classic fly rod forum. Looks to be quite a bit of info there. Thanks for the heads up!!

+ Reply to Thread