+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I want to build a 6 or 7 wt!

Default I want to build a 6 or 7 wt!

Hello all,

This will be my first rod. I want to make a 6wt or 7wt 9' or 9'6" for light steelhead. I think I want a fighting butt. I love the way the Legend Ultra and Legend Elite's looks.

I would like the action to be similar to my St. Croix Legend Ultra 3wt (7'6") and 4wt (8') or my Scott A2 5wt (9').

1. Which rod from H&H?
    2.How much am I talking?
    3.What "special" tools will I need or kind of shop?

I appreciate the help guys. Really!

Dan aka mahaskaboy in Iowa

2. Default

well,
    if you like the St. croix legend ultra build one on that blank. Another blank would be the IMX or HHX. Do you want all metal reel seat or wood insert? Pac Bay A6 gives you a choice and can accomodate a detachable fighting butt. Then do you want a full wells or half wells grip?
    You can look up prices on the H&H website.
    I like Art Schecks rod building book cause he does things inexpensively. The only special tool I really like is a drying motor which you can get from jann's netcraft for about 12 bucks
    Then put a PVC pipe cap on the motor stem with 3 short screws on the outside and wrap rubber bands around the screws and rod to hold it while drying.
    good luck.

For your first rod, you might want to consider one of the hook and hackle kits that are not too expensive. Probably can get everything you need for about $120 including a case to put it in. Call them and tell them what you are looking for and they can fix you up with everything you will need -- ask for Bob.

My first rod came out OK but I didn't like the soft action; however, I made alot of mistakes that I won't repeat on the next ones. I figured that I can throw it away if I don't like it and not really be out very much.

You don't need alot of equipment to build a rod but I did buy a turner/motor for finishing and some other things to make it easier -- another $160 -- however, all of these can be easily made at home -- I just didn't have the time. Hook and Hackle has some 57,000,000 modulus blanks that may get close to what you are looking for in terms of action - you can also buy St. Croix blanks, Sage blank(check out Mudhole.com , Anglers Workshop, Cabela's and some other vendors )-- and just about any kind of blank you want. It's just money. The better the blank, the more you get to shell out.

Read the Al Campbell section on this site for rod building -- it is very good and will get you started -- walking you through all the steps. I would also suggest posting you problems her and also reading the current and past posts on the bulletin board. You can learn alot from other peoples problems. You can get some real good advice from guys on this site.

Good luck and have fun. It isn't brain surgery. Having a clean and dust free place to work makes the project go better. Take your time -- even buy another book and read it to get another perspective. The Art Shenck book is a good one.

Should take you about a week to finish one a rod working pretty much at your leisure.

[This message has been edited by Orthoman (edited 22 February 2006).]

[This message has been edited by Orthoman (edited 22 February 2006).]

That is a great start. I think I will start with an inexpensive blank and work my way up.

Thanks guys!

mahaska

"I love the way the Legend Ultra and Legend Elite's looks."

It is not about looks, it is about action and durability. St. Croix Legend Ultra and the St. Croix Legend Elite, both good fly rods (depends what casting action you want). If you want a detachable fighting but you can get a kit to attach one to the butt end on the fly rod. If you want it as a permanent fighting butt (sometimes it is difficult to locate the attachable fighting butt with a fish on the line), you can do that also.

I would suggest going one weight higher, Steelheads have a tendency to take your fly to a different zip code, some times they take it to a different area code. Plus, there is always the chance, you might hook into a monster.

The other reason for one weight higher, is consideration of the tip, which is going to take the most abuse, when you hook the fish. I prefer a stronger tip, over a more lively casting action. ~Parnelli

PS: Everything you need to know is in Al Campbell's "Building a Graphite Rod". Whatever you do, follow one set of instructions, you cannot have two masters when you are building a fly rod.

+ Reply to Thread