+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Color Chart

Hybrid View

Default Color Chart

OK, I know that the color DUN is grayish brown, something like moldy chocolate, but I'm trying to get
    more information on other colors. Why? so that I can identify about 100 fly s that I've accumulated
    and never put back in their proper box after using. I'm sure we've all been there.
    Somehow I remember a noted author/fly-fisherman publishing a COLOR CHART.
    Can someone help me out here, where I could buy one?
    Thanks in advance.
    richard

There are shades of DUN. The one you are describing is very dark. Other shades are more of a bluish grey, and vary from light to medium. I think a color chart would be of help to you.

Here is my BCS system. In addition to colors, the data pages allow you to enter insect stage, measurements and colors for just about every part of an insect.

There are regional differences in the color of identical insect hatches, and the color of the insect can change as the hatch progresses from week to week. So precise color matches vary by location and the date of the hatch.

The BCS is no longer sold, but a curious angler can use regular paint chips to do the same task.

Al Caucci and Bob Nastasi published the [u]Fly-tyer's Color Guide[/i] in 1978. The entire book is about the fact the colors are "spectrumized". In the book, they break down the colors in the component parts of red, blue and yellow. They then describe how to get various colors by combining theose three primary colors. They marketed a series of dubbing colors based on this spectrumization but quite frankly it was a bust.

Last edited by Silver Creek; 05-24-2014 at 02:25 PM.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Blog Entries

Richard, who cares? The "name" of the fly means nothing. The shade of "dun" means nothing. As long as the fly matches the flies hatching on the water as closely as possible you will catch fish. The fish really don't care what the name is!
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

Way back when, Theodore Gordon had a lot to say about color regarding insects and the trout. Thought it was the most important element. Now to your post. You wrote one thing that is not quite accurate. Caucci/Nastasi based their colors on a combination of 4 colors. Well, the 3 primary colors AND white. The quantity of each color was identified by a 'pinch', but that form of measurement varied from color to color. A 'pinch' of blue was a different quantity then a 'pinch' of yellow. That is why you had to use a template that had a circle of different sizes per color. Anyway, the parts formula was on each package of dubbing although even with the formula you did not get the right color without the template. Al taught me how to use it and then I began mixing their dubbing for their flies in the shop. Oh, that's an excellent book.

Allan

Allan

Blog Entries

Kenn M. Ligas produced a very nice 3 ring binder of fly patterns. In it, he identified the color of each, based on the Borger Color System and the use of Scintilla dubbing material.
    At the end of he book, he includes two pages of small samples of the colors which are named and numbered based on the Borger Color System.

P
    age 1 of the samples pages

P
    age 2

I
    n addition to the variations of color due to the stage of emergence, location of the watershed, etc. (pointed out by Silver Creek, above), there is the relatively significant difference between the color of the dubbing when dry and when wet...................

The other nice thing about the Ligas notebook is that he he has information on the Eastern version of the insect and the Western version.......

This is a typical page on the Eastern Stonefly...............You will note that he provides color differentiation for the parts of the insect.

Last edited by Byron haugh; 05-24-2014 at 10:02 PM.

BINGO!
    Sincere thanks flyfisher7, Silver Creek, sagefisher, Ray, Allan, and Byron.
    Everything that I hoped for, and so much more.
    richard

+ Reply to Thread