+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hip boot help

Hybrid View

Default Hip boot help

I have a pair of Pro Line hip boots with rubber boots and canvas like material on the legs. The canvas has gotten stiff which make then hard to "roll" down. Has anyone had the same problem? If so how can I soften the canvas?
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Dick

I can't help you with that question but I have a pair of rubber hip boots with steel toes. I haven't worn them in MANY years, the last time I was caught between a Momma moose and her baby. It is REALY hard to run in those old boots. I should get them out and see if the rubber is even still flexible! That said I just had a thought, Ace Hardware or that type of store may be of some help.
    Wyo-Blizzard

In my old hip boot analogy/experience, I've found the old timey canvas hip waders to indeed be more stiff then their rubber counterparts. What I've liked about the canvas is they were great for wading smaller, shallow creeks, and I kinda had it in my head that they might be a little warmer for those cooler water temps - and I never rolled them down. For sure, the complete rubber ones could be rolled down sorta coming up with "knee highs". Some years back I had a 15' fishing boat W/15 hp motor, and I would launch it in shallow, sandy bottomed water, where I'd wade out a little ways with the boat to where I could start the motor O.K. - Then after I got in the boat I'd roll those hip boots down and go about my fishing. I should point out those boots slipped off real easily AND the water I was fishing in was not over my head!

To answer your question, IMHO, canvas hip waders were made to be stiff, the 100% rubber ones more agile.

Thanks for the replies guys.
    When they were new they were more flexible. Of course when I was younger I was more flexible too. I will check at Ace and keep asking around.
    Thanks
    Dick

+ Reply to Thread