+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tying on a Plane?

Default Tying on a Plane?

Anyone have experience taking a fly tying kit as a travel-on so they could do some tying on a plane? Did you have any problems? I realize that the kit contains small scissors, hooks and some other items that the TSA may consider 'hazardous' but do they? What's been your experience?

Allan

Blog Entries

No problems any more. Used to be a no go until they got over their issues with any blade. I do not like being forced to slum a Renzetti Traveler on the plane, but the Nor-Vise is just too big...

Blog Entries

My flights from Kauai to West Yellowstone each year amount to two long flights. Total air time is probably 9 hours.
    However, I can't imagine tying on the plane. There is no room and I think it would also be intrusive to the other passengers next to and around me.

Excellent call, Byron.

Just read or take a nap.
    To the simpleton, proof does not matter once emotion takes hold of an issue.

hap - Thanks. Good to know that.
    By the way, if I wanted to know how long or boring the flight was or how tying might be "intrusive" on other passengers, which may or not be the case, I would have asked. Since I didn't, thanks for your opinion nonetheless.

Blog Entries

At 6'4" and 240# I take up plenty of seat space all by myself... Often enough I have a vacant row around me... Maybe I need to work on my personality?!?

I can see not taking the stuff out on a full plane, but it is not such a huge hassle for most flights. Folks around you will likely develope a serious interest, too. Just put together a bag of all the materials needed for a run of one or two patterns and get after it. Those 9-hour rides will shorten considerably.

Lee Wulff tied in hand while FLYING the plane.....
    Just another HappyHooker

Catching and Releasing Fisher-folk for 40+years

Quote Originally Posted by gordo7 View Post
    Lee Wulff tied in hand while FLYING the plane.....
    Gordo - He tied in the hand all the time. On a number of occasions, including some demos, I've tied 'in the hand' and planned on doing it in this instance.

Hap - Good suggestion. I plan on putting together a much smaller 'kit' that will be more 'patterns specific'. That will cut down significantly on the size of the kit. The absence of a vise will make it easier if the seats are full. If they're not, I'll take out whatever vise I choose to bring. Oh, I'm nowhere near your physical size. This allows me some extra squirming and elbow room, lol.

AlanB Guest

Recently my experience of taking any fishing tackle on a plane has taught me "Don't trust the advice of the airline". Get in touch with airport security and find out what the restrictions really are. Certainly here, the airlines try to use security as means to generate extra revenue.

I have a very small tying kit (will easily fit in a shirt pocket), which includes a vice. The airline said it must go in my hold baggage, which will then be classed as "sporting equipment" and attract a premium (almost double) charge. Airport security told me that there was nothing in the kit I couldn't take in hand baggage.

Cheers,
    A.

Blog Entries

I'vetied on the plane more then once o converted a briefcase into a small kit and a Plano tackle box for threads and stuff the vice on a pedestal. never had an issue instead had more questions and interest. and even made a few bucks at the same time.all i did was walk up to security and asked if they would search the kit before i checked the rest of my luggage and they where fine.

+ Reply to Thread