+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kodiak Bear Hunt Pics (there are dead bear pics here)

Blog Entries

Denny, the rifles used were the Kimber held by Paul in the photos and my Remington 700 in 375 Ackley Improved. The Kimber is the plain Jane 375H&H. Both of us were using the same scope, a Vortex 1-4x24 Viper PST. And yes, the bear squared out at 9' with a small bit of change.

James, the skin will be turned into a closed-mouth rug and the skull will be cleaned by beetles, whitened, sealed and kept as trophy. It will probably be more of a "trophy" than the rug, really. I have a pretty large collection of bear skulls...

Thank you for the kind comments from the rest of you, even those coveting my crabs! The only way to have improved the trip would have been for Riley to come along...

I forgot to mention the first day we rolled into the bay and went to my usual favorite anchorage and the incredibly fine folks at the local lodge stopped by and asked how many people we had aboard and handed us a crab each! That was while I was actually setting the anchor!

http://www.quartzcreeklodge.com/uganik.htm

Blog Entries

I'm curious, Hap.

Where in Alaska do you live? Where do you hunt? How far away is it? Do you travel there only by boat, or drive part ways and then boat??
    Thanks

Art, what an adventure. That looks like so much fun! (And work) Wilderness, fresh crab, and the hunt...... Awesome, my friend.
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

Blog Entries

Byron, I live right in South Anchorage and have only migrated about 12 miles from where I first lived in Anchorage as a kid in the early '60s. I spent winters out for quite a few years during my college years and returned full-time in '80. I have kept a boat in Kodiak for 21 years, a 40' twin diesel sport boat I used to run charters on for fishing and hunting. Politics, more than anything else, made me realize that was a dead-end.

I can leave my house and be on my boat in under two hours by flying. It is a bit under 250 miles by the direct route. From the boat I do a lot of fishing and hunting...

I have access to much of AK by a lot of different means by virtue of having a boat to grant others access... Tomorrow I will be going shrimping in Prince William Sound on a friend's boat. They will not be coming along... I do quite a bit of maintenance on the boat and tomorrow will be replacing the water heater.

My favorite line is I have the best friends a forty-foot boat in Kodiak will buy!
    art

Blog Entries

qk
    Having gotten to do this many times over the decades I feel more than blessed by my options. Getting the chance to get someone like Paul out in places where he only dreamed of going and having everything come together perfectly is priceless. Especially when only the tiniest parts are under my control.

I am not used to having someone beat me at spotting game, but with Paul there was no contest. Of the 66 bears we spotted I was beaten at least 3:1. He works for Vortex Optics as their R&D guy and he is good with glass...
    art

PS
    Pretty sure Byron and qk have gotten previous PM invites...

Dang Hap,

Nice report.

It looks like you got Ol' Slew Foot himself!

That's a great looking bear and those crabs had to taste good!!!!!!!! Also, some great looking fur for tying!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by hap View Post
    PS
    Pretty sure Byron and qk have gotten previous PM invites...
    Something about 2 little ones in diapers and me working 2 jobs is keeping me here. "some day...."
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

Hap,
    Do you remember those great adventure stories in Outdoor Life back in the '60s and '70s? I have a feeling you could reprise the genre. If Outdoor Life isn't interested, I bet Fur, Fish, and Game would be.

Regards,
    Ed

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ed_D View Post
    Hap,
    Do you remember those great adventure stories in Outdoor Life back in the '60s and '70s? I have a feeling you could reprise the genre. If Outdoor Life isn't interested, I bet Fur, Fish, and Game would be.

Regards,
    Ed
    Ed
    Thanks for the kind comments... The old "Me and Joe" stories were good and likely had somethign to do with my early interests and volume in reading. My father wrote for a number of magazines, including the old "Alaska Sportsman" before they dropped the "Sportsman" and was included in a number of their anthologies. He also wrote for a lot of the gun magazines from the '60s up through the '90s.

I have also been published more than a few times in a number of outdoor magazines, including F,F,&G. Magazines are a hard way to go these days as the digital world is eating at subscription numbers and the entire way folks read has gotten spongey. Folks want to read snippets and sidebars, short "articles" with at least one "extreme" in every paragraph. I am not too old to hunt big bears, but too old to use extreme often...
    thanks again!
    art

+ Reply to Thread