+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Western Green Drakes on Henry's Fork only a little more than a month from now

Blog Entries

Default Western Green Drakes on Henry's Fork only a little more than a month from now

This is a Green Drake pattern that Bob Jacklin ties in his shop in West Yellowstone. It's a Comparadun style with olive hackle added. He likes them bright when the hatch first comes off.

green drake hatch on the ranch

Last edited by Byron haugh; 05-19-2014 at 11:09 PM.

Byron -

I have some of Jacklin's Green Drake flies that he calls Compara Drakes. They are similar to the fly you have shown, except that the tail is tied rather short with yellowish olive dyed deer hair, and the hackle is trimmed flat on the bottom. The wing appears to be deer hair dyed a dun grey color.

A friend had Jacklin tie a dozen of this pattern, plus some other flies, about 5-6 years ago, and gave me a half dozen of the Green Drake Compara Drake flies, all of which I still have, unused.

John

Blog Entries

John,
    You are correct! I also have a set of his. He does trim the hackle flat. Oops, I forgot...............
    Thanks!

Here is a picture of one I have of Bob Jacklin's.

Last edited by Byron haugh; 05-20-2014 at 08:58 PM.

Here is a picture of one of the flies I have:

Blog Entries

John,
    A slightly different version today.

It is "greased up" which brings up a point I have been pondering for some time. When a dry fly is "greased up", it floats better and longer, and it also gives off tiny bubbles of air around the fly. Might be good for fishing. Not sure at this point.

F
    ly ON the water.

F
    rom below the water.

Last edited by Byron haugh; 05-27-2014 at 09:16 PM.

Okay, I'm just going by the looks of the pattern with the bottom trimmed. the only resemblance to a 'compara-anything' is that it has a splayed deer hair wing. If I had to give it some lineage or heritage, it has a lot in common with the Haystack. Having said that, it's a nice fly that just screams, 'Here Mr. trout'.

Allan

Blog Entries

John,
    I found an earlier version of Jacklin's Green Drake. He first used dun hackle due to his having grown up fishing in the East. He says after he saw Mike Lawson's flies with the olive hackle, he switched.
    In this one he tied, he used dun hackle at the "wing" and dun hackle for the tails.

Quote Originally Posted by Byron haugh View Post
    John,
    I found an earlier version of Jacklin's Green Drake. He first used dun hackle due to his having grown up fishing in the East. He says after he saw Mike Lawson's flies with the olive hackle, he switched.
    In this one he tied, he used dun hackle at the "wing" and dun hackle for the tails.

I like all of those patterns.

I'm sitting here just now looking at the Yellowstone right at flood level and getting higher every day, so it doesn't look like we'll be fishing here for some time. So, I just might have to add the Henry's Fork to my fishing in the next few weeks or so.

I couldn't help notice the 2.50 shown on the tag attached to the drake in your picture - was that the price? I saved a copy of Jacklin's invoice for the flies I have, dated January 2009, at $1.95 per fly. I also have some of his Brown Drake Para Spinners obtained from him at the same time and price.

Blog Entries

John,
    Do you live in a Gardiner?

I will be fishing The Ranch and below Ashton. If you would like to join me for a day, let me know.

I usually also fish a spot on the Gardner just below the North Park Entrance.

During the summer, my wife and I are near Emigrant, about 35 miles north of Gardiner.

+ Reply to Thread