+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Surprise, Surprise!!!

Hybrid View

Default Surprise, Surprise!!!

Looked out the window in my bedroom this morning to find the 60 ft.*/- oak tree that formerly stood about 10 ft. away lying on the ground. The good news it point away from my house and didn't reach any of my neighbors' homes. Very much a surprise, didn't hear a thing and the weather hadn't been that violent.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

There doesn't appear to be a lot of roots torn up. Maybe the camera angle? I wonder if that was the weakness, especially if you didn't have a lot of wind.
    Too bad anyway. It will take a long time to grow one like it.
    Peter

Hey, I have the identical tree lying flat in my yard too! It came down a week ago during the storms that went through our area. I have a gentleman who will cut it up and remove it coming this week. He burns wood to heat his home and water in an outside wood burner. I am going to assume it is a white oak tree because they do not have a large root system and the roots are shallow. A red oak will have a deeper and larger root system. The underground water table here is closer to the surface than most other areas and the trees do not require a deep root to reach water which will make them a little top heavy after they get larger and taller. It only takes the right wind gust at the right time to get the top heavy part to over power the shallow root sysem and once the top leans far enough, gravity takes over. Thank your Creator for having it fall away from your home.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Good thing it fell back huh. Strange you didn't hear it. Looks like about 3 days clean up. Jim
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

We were indeed fortunate not to have Jim Smith telling you that he saw on the news some old fisherman and his wife were squished by a fallen oak tree. As far as I can tell the only damage will be paying for a chipper to handle the smaller limbs and a little dirt for the hole. This is the third time nature has given me fallen trees. This will save me money on the exercise equipment I need, my buddy left me a splitting maul and wedge when he retired to the Villages in FL.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

+ Reply to Thread