+ Reply to Thread

Thread: rod kits

1. Default rod kits

Curious about getting started. I was just wondering how much cost I should expect to incur other than the initial kit such as one from Cabelas?

Take a look at the kits from Hook & Hackle. You cannot go wrong and they are a sponsor on this site.

Most of what you will need beyond their kit will be the tools. Check out the rod-building instructions on this site. You will see what tools might be needed. They can be had quite inexpensively. A cardboard box makes a good rod wrapper with the right technique.

Need any other advice feel free to e-mail.

Good Luck

------------------
    --------
    Let No One Walk Alone
    ><))))'>------<'((((><
    Bill
    Let No One Walk Alone
    <*)))))><{----------}><((((*>

I've heard that the box-store rod kits are a letdown-- That all thier kits come with the same sized guides, reel seat and grip, regarless of the size and weight of the blank. Your much better off getting a kit from someone who is hand picking components around a specific blank-- H&H and Dan Craft are excellent starting points for this.

As for cost beyond the kit, I would guess that about $30 in tools, supplies and equipment will get you started. If you want a rod dryer, expect to pay around $60 for that. Check out Al Campbell's series on Rod Building, part 3 has a list of materials you'll need. [url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/begin/graphite/:c33cd]http://www.flyanglersonline.com/begin/graphite/[/url:c33cd]

[This message has been edited by taoski (edited 21 February 2006).]

georgiared;
    I've built 5 rods from H&H and have 2 more in the works. I'm still on the same reel seat epoxy that came with the first kit. I'm on my second bottles of wrap epoxy. The one thing you don't get with the kit is cork sealer so add a bottle.
    Tools
    Metal or plastic mixing sticks (silicone free)
    Mixing cups. I use a small plastic cup by solo. Get them from a local resturant.
    Elastic thread from the local sewing shop to tie down the guides prior to wraping.
    A thread tensioner (Optional).
    An egg timer to remind you when to turn the rod in the cardboard box.
    The most important item's are a clean, low trafic and a well lighted work area (Keep the pet's in another room!!).
    A 4' 2 tube shop light is ideal and probably the most expensive item.
    PanFisher, taoski and I will help. Just emails us with questions.

------------------
    I feel more like I do now than I did when I got here!

Cactus

I built my own drying wheel for less than $10.00. I used a 6rpm motor. Mounted a wood disk on it which I epoxied 12 alligator clips. I use it for drying flies and turning rods. I built a 6WT. from Cabelas and am very happy with the finished product.

I built a 4 wt. rod on a Forecast blank bought as a kit from Hook & Hackle. Good products, fit nicely, easy to work with, and made a nice looking rod. I'd certainly deal with them again and trust them to put together a component kit for a rod.

------------------
    These are the idle thoughts that posses a man's mind when he's not able to fish.

+ Reply to Thread