+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Guide on Ferrule ?

Default Guide on Ferrule ?

I'm re-doing my 8'6" 4wt fly rod with new guides. I fudged some of the guide placements on the original wrapping because I was using one less guide than recommended.
    This time I'm using better quality guides and the suggested number of them (one per foot of rod lenght).

The guide placement charts I have seen and my own static testing places one of the guides right on top of the ferrule. How bad of a mistake would it be to put this guide there? When I say on top I mean within 5/8" from the edge. If nothing else this would let me incorporate the ferrule wrap with the guide wrap! Wouldn't this placement reduce stress on the ferrule?

Charlie

2. Default

gnat,
    I'd call the manufacturer and get the guide spacing for that particular model to start with. Also may have to do with the design of the ferrule. Check out the pictures on the Scott website, looks like they put guides on the female ferrule on their rods. I think at least sage and winston put guides near the female ferrule too but seem to think they're about 1" to 1 1/2" above the end of the section.
    good luck.

[This message has been edited by kbobb (edited 21 February 2006).]

I always try to place my guides on or as close to the ferrule as possible and combine the wraps. This is very common and will not harm the rod. Goodluck... FB.

That wouldn't be a SAGE would it? I had the same thing and thought it was a mistake. I called SAGE about it and was told it was correct. By the way, they were great and I ended up talking to the guy for over an hour (about rod building and other topics). I can say IMHO they are awesome people and would recommend them to anyone. Even if it's not a SAGE, I would think it's OK, but definately recommend calling the manufacturer for some insight. They also gave me a differnt spacing guide (left foot spacing), and answered some spine questions I had.

Hope it helps, Adam

It's not that big a deal to just move it up a tad. Their location isn't THAT critical.

Gem

Guide on the ferrule is a good thing. Alot of the builders try to get their spacing so that the guides will fall as close as possible to the ferrules.

Thanks everyone. I was just concerned about making a major blunder and having the rod snap on the first cast!

Plain Old Jim...for all of flyfishing that's my philosophy! (It aint't that critical)

Charlie

+ Reply to Thread