Quote Originally Posted by AlanB View Post
Thank you Byron, Good information, well worth considering for anyone looking for a quality vice.

Could I be cheeky and ask for a further piece of information? I am quite particular in the setting of rotary tension (the adjustment of how heavy it is to turn the vice head). On many vices this is achieved by a screw acting directly on the shaft. To me this is not a good design, as the total adjustment from off to solid is covered in 1/4 turn of the screw or less. Could you tell us how much he adjustment knob turns between locking the head, and it falling under its own weight please?

Thanks, great review,
A.
Defeated the same problem by punching (leather punch) a nylon/polypropylene plug of a diameter near to the tapped hole's diameter and placing a small stout spring (that also fits into the hole) over the plug and beneath the screw so the spring compresses before dead tight happens. You may have to cut a few coils off the spring or even give it a stretch to adjust the strength. If the nylon is too slick, a plug of leather gives a little more friction. Smoooth revolutions with no 'sticky' spots. Hope that is all more clear than mud.