Quote Originally Posted by Betty Hiner View Post
Ya know that weird sucking sound where you draw air in through clamped teeth? Yah ... hearing that right now .... Are you sure about this project?

H&H Forecast kits are wonderful! Everything is there to produce a fantastic little rod. That's where I started, oh, those many years ago. But, a 6 year old? (thus, the sucking sound). How is his dexterity? Fine muscle skills? Patience? YOUR patience? (First one in tested MY patience to the max!) He may be able to measure the spacing between the guides, and mark the placement with a china marker, but wrapping the guides? Applying the epoxy? You're the only one who would know that, be able to stop mid act, and regroup before it became a total frustration to him ... and you. I applaud you and your desire to have fun, family/kid time. Maybe build the rod, with his supervision, and then fish it with him?

I think I'd opt for the Jeep rebuild .....
Betty,
Thanks for the reply. I think it would be more of him measuring and maybe doing the middle of the wraps. I'd do the epoxy myself. I'm trying to be realistic here and I realize that I'll probably end up building this thing myself with some help from him. Fishing it will be the next task to tackle with him. I'm hoping that by having him help build it, he'll take an increased interest in fishing it.

I would have loved to do the Jeep rebuild. Had a good candidate for rebuilding all picked out and everything. Then the veto came down. To be honest, I'm not sure who the rebuild was more for. . . .him or me.