+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Going to build my first rod. . .

Default Going to build my first rod. . .

So, I'm thinking of building my first rod. . . . .with my six year old. I've been looking for a project that we could do together and the wife shot down my idea to restore an old Jeep (though that may still be in the works despite her objections )

I'm looking at the Forecast kits on Hook & Hackle as a good 'starter' kit to get our first build under our belt. Since I'm planning on having the little guy help, I don't want to go too expensive in case things don't go exactly as they should and things need to be slightly re-done.

Has anyone had any experience with these kits? Any suggestions on additional items that should be purchased in order to make the build easier/go more smoothly?

Thanks.

Ya know that weird sucking sound where you draw air in through clamped teeth? Yah ... hearing that right now .... Are you sure about this project?

H&H Forecast kits are wonderful! Everything is there to produce a fantastic little rod. That's where I started, oh, those many years ago. But, a 6 year old? (thus, the sucking sound). How is his dexterity? Fine muscle skills? Patience? YOUR patience? (First one in tested MY patience to the max!) He may be able to measure the spacing between the guides, and mark the placement with a china marker, but wrapping the guides? Applying the epoxy? You're the only one who would know that, be able to stop mid act, and regroup before it became a total frustration to him ... and you. I applaud you and your desire to have fun, family/kid time. Maybe build the rod, with his supervision, and then fish it with him?

I think I'd opt for the Jeep rebuild .....
    Last edited by Betty Hiner; 05-16-2014 at 03:24 PM.
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Betty Hiner View Post
    Ya know that weird sucking sound where you draw air in through clamped teeth? Yah ... hearing that right now .... Are you sure about this project?

H&H Forecast kits are wonderful! Everything is there to produce a fantastic little rod. That's where I started, oh, those many years ago. But, a 6 year old? (thus, the sucking sound). How is his dexterity? Fine muscle skills? Patience? YOUR patience? (First one in tested MY patience to the max!) He may be able to measure the spacing between the guides, and mark the placement with a china marker, but wrapping the guides? Applying the epoxy? You're the only one who would know that, be able to stop mid act, and regroup before it became a total frustration to him ... and you. I applaud you and your desire to have fun, family/kid time. Maybe build the rod, with his supervision, and then fish it with him?

I think I'd opt for the Jeep rebuild .....
    Betty,
    Thanks for the reply. I think it would be more of him measuring and maybe doing the middle of the wraps. I'd do the epoxy myself. I'm trying to be realistic here and I realize that I'll probably end up building this thing myself with some help from him. Fishing it will be the next task to tackle with him. I'm hoping that by having him help build it, he'll take an increased interest in fishing it.

I would have loved to do the Jeep rebuild. Had a good candidate for rebuilding all picked out and everything. Then the veto came down. To be honest, I'm not sure who the rebuild was more for. . . .him or me.

Make sure to let him pick out the thread colors! Have a ball, and keep us updated with pictures throughout the build! And the resulting fishing adventures!!

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Built a 2 and a 6wt. with those kits. Not bad for the price (the 2 was $45). I too want to see pictures of the build! Hope it goes well!

Blog Entries

I agree with Betty. if you do plan on doing this with your son. I would go to the nearest thrift ship. buy an old rod that he likes and restore it. Then if he likes that I would than go and build a rod from a kit. I have found that with some children while it might sound good. It can and will test your patience and temper.

Are you experienced in building or assembling rods at all. if not I would suggest learning to build then bring him into the picture. That's why I recommend restoring a rod first. Giving new wraps, guides, hardware if needed grip. ect. And if you do a small spinning rod it can be his rod. when your all done. let him choose thread colour. and any stickers may want to add.

If you have little or no experience with rod construction take a stripped arrow (headless) and use this to practice your wraps on before going to the rod its self. Also if you go into the main page we have an extensive explanation on rod building as well.

First of all, thank you to everyone who replied. Your responses made me slow down a click and take a closer look at the project ahead. I have decided to place the 'buddy build' (that's what I'm calling it) on hold for the time being.

Per Charlaine's advice, I found an old fiberglass rod which was just lying around, which was also missing a guide, and grabbed a spool of cheap thread. I put the bobbin in one of my fly tying bobbin holders and tried to walk my son through the process of wrapping the guide onto the rod. As you can imagine, it didn't quite goes as I'd had hoped. So, we're gonna wait a bit until he's a little older.

Debating whether I'm going to try my hand by myself first. If so, any suggestions on a good starter kit? Is it worth it to spend the extra money to get a better kit than the Forecast?

The Forecast is an excellent little rod! The kit has everything in it you'd need for a first, or second, or .... , build. The finished rod fishes very well. OK ... not like the top o'the line Winston or whatever, but still, very well!
    The important thing is to remember to have fun building it..... whatever one you choose. Go for it!!

Sounds like you've made a good decision NCVirginian. The Hook & Hackle Xi kits and rods are really nice too - they cost a bit more than the Forecast kits, but they're often on sale.

Cliff

+ Reply to Thread