+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What kind of bug?

Question What kind of bug?

I had a strange kind of bug land on my truck window today. It had 4 legs and 2 antannea, there was 2 wings that lay flat down his body. But there was also what appeared to be 2 small wings sticking out forward in front of his head?!? I was sitting still eating lunch when I noticed it. It sort of favored a small mosquito except for the 2 wings sticking out in front of his head. The wings lying down the. Ody was long and slim, but the wings sticking in front of his head was round. I took a pic with my phone, but it didn't turn out very well and I haven't a clue how to get it from my phone to a post. I'd say the size of the bug would be around a 16 or so. Anyway, I know that isn't much to go on but I'm really curious what it might be. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
    hNt
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

How close are you to Oakridge (lol)? If I want to post pics from my phone, I send them to my emil and download from there to Photobucket; a bit convoluted, but it works.

Regards,
    Scott

I think it's one of those things you sometimes see on the windshield with the funny wing setup but without pictures I'm not sure if it's one of those things or the other kind of thing. Entomology isn't my strong suit but I know a bug when I see one.

Wait, there's one now.

4 wings, 4 legs and antenna make it sound like a caddis. Did it have a tail?

Blog Entries

They have three pair of 2 legs....

As Byron mentioned, all insects have six legs. From your description "It had 4 legs and 2 antenna, there was 2 wings that lay flat down his body. But there was also what appeared to be 2 small wings sticking out forward in front of his head?!" I suspect that the two antenna you mentioned were actually legs and the two small wings were in fact the antenna. Many small insects have feathery antenna which could be mistaken for small forward-facing wings. I suggest that you do a search for insects found in your area and you'll find the culprit.

Jim Smith

Or, like this
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Some species of water striders have wings. It could, conceivably have been one of them. Although I think it sounds more like some kind of diptera or perhaps something in the lacewing line. I suspect that two pairs of legs were kept together so that it appeared to have only for legs, instead of 6.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_strider

With regards to your bug what color(s) was it? What color were the wings? Did the wings protrude behind the body? Were there any veins clearly visible in the wing. Were the wings shiny or dull?

Methinks your bug has stirred up a can of worms.

Regards,
    Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jesse View Post
    Or, like this
    Looks like we got a winner here! It was on my driver side window so I was looking from beneath but that appears to be it! Uncle Jesse wins the cutie doll! It's strange how much clearer it looks from the side. Now what is it?

Thanks again,
    hNt
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

+ Reply to Thread