+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Beginner's tip..

Blog Entries

Default Beginner's tip..

Or a tip from a beginner.

Haven't even started wrapping my rod yet and I have a tip.

I've been practicing/experimenting on a couple of broken pieces. I've tied several wraps and eyes side by side in several colors, put CP on some and left some, put trim bands on some - some without. Been having good luck applying the FlexCoat, letting it sag, wicking the excess, then hittin git with the hair dryer.

Now, here's the tip. Put in on the box. Turn it as needed a - and *leave it the heck alone*.

I keep thinking I have to pick it up and "inspect" it. So far I've stuck my thumb on one and brushed another against my sleeve.

I'm not too bright - but I'm learning. lol.

Oh, by the way, don't spit into the wind either.

Edit: 7:52 p.m. - Oh - I may want to think about a 'drying box' too. Just discovered a boxelder bug trapped like a rat in a sticky trap. All six of his little legs are there for eternity.

[This message has been edited by HideHunter (edited 16 February 2006).]
    "Flyfishing is not a religion. You can make up your own rules as you go.".. Jim Hatch.. 2/27/'06

I will remember this if I ever build a rod. I am a gardener, just love it. You will find me in the garden uncovering seeds to see if they have sprouted so your advice is good.

HideHunter;
    I've done that too!! What a mess! But never thought to post it.
    Thank's for your sharing.

Reminds me of a cedarstrip canoe we were building as a group for our Clean Up the River Environment (curemnriver.org) several years ago. While in the fiberglassing, a lady bug (Japanese beetle?) landed in the epoxy. It wasn't noticed until the curing stage, and our committee came to a consensus to leave it since it was "environmental." Today, somewhere in Minnesota, a lucky winner paddles the rivers and BWCA in our "lady bug" canoe. JGW

It can be quite amazing what contaminates are floating around your house, and no matter how sterile the envrionement, something will become part of your rod it seems.
    For instance, I have always kept my rods while curing in a pretty enclosed space so as not to attract any unwanted hairs, bugs, etc, never thinking what else was wanting to be part of my rod.
    Next morning, theirs my stupid cat, curled up on the floor, nicely attached to my rod. Silly beast knocked it over and out of its protective envrionment, and decided to sleep on it, guess he thought he was protecting it.
    for about a month, he walked around with a perfectly straight bair spot, where I had to cut the hair to remove him from my rod.

Blog Entries

lol..flyfool.. probably would have thrown the rod out of balance to just epoxy over and leave him.
    "Flyfishing is not a religion. You can make up your own rules as you go.".. Jim Hatch.. 2/27/'06

I also can't resist the temptaton to 'touch' the rod while it's curing. After leaving several fingerprints on otherwise perfect wraps I came up with a better way.

I squirt a glob of epoxy finish in a Post-It note and stick it to the base of my rod turner, When temptation overcomes me I touch the Post-It note the rod....

Blog Entries

Good idea kengore Maybe poking around in that will keep my hands off the critical parts.

I decided to see what I could do with the bug legs. Took an old 'points' file and took the worst of it out. Rubbed it with 0 steel wool and then 0000. Put on another coat and it looks "remarkably" good. Good experience if nothng else.

Definitely am going to invest in a drying motor. My short wraps look pretty decent but on longer runs I tend to get waves.

I built mine from a barbeque rotissorie motor I found at a thrift store for 5 bucks.

You can buy new replacement motors at Home Depot for about $30.

A couple of blocks of wood with a V shaped notch and you are in business...

+ Reply to Thread