Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
As for knives, I've donated too many to the cause of freedom (aka TSA agents). I no longer carry one.
I almost "donated" a knife one time. Flying out I was smart enough to pack my pocket knife in my checked bag. On the return flight, after the knife had been in my pocket for the better part of a week, I never gave it a thought. I actually dropped it in the little dish going through security. Of course, the security person turned on his red light. The supervisor came over and picked it up and asked me if this was my knife. I said yep. She asked if I wanted to keep it. I said yes.

She said, "OK, go over to the newsstand right over there. Buy a padded envelope and stamps, address it to yourself and come back. Hand me the envelope and I'll put your knife in, seal it and drop it in the mail box."

This was at the Salt Lake City airport and obviously wasn't the first time that had happened. They had the routine down pat. The young lady at the newsstand knew exactly why I needed an envelope and knew how many stamps I would need. The security supervisor did her job very well. I got my knife in the mail 3 days later.

I have to say I was VERY impressed.