For the last 30 years I have carried the smallest Victorinex swiss army knife, which I have used daily, and was very happy with it. I hear folks say "tools that are supposed to do everything really do nothing well". I agree, except many times I need a tool that does everything at least half ***, and this knife fits the bill. But recently I read about Kershaw knives on another forum, and picked up a "scallion" on flea bay. I love this knife. When I need a knife, I use this; when I need "not perfect, but make do tool" I use the Victorinex. So now I carry 2 knives, if you can call the Victorinex a knife.......

The biggest issue was the bulk, while not that big, it is bigger than the Victorinex. I hate bulk in my pockets. I never carry change. This dates back to elementary school when my parents would give me a quarter for milk money, but never got the 6 cents change (I'm old OK??). Finally, they asked me about the 6 cents and, I told the truth, I threw it in a bush near the cafeteria because I hated carrying the change. But, of course, this morphed into a "family story" of how Jeff threw the change into a bush because he was "afraid of losing it". I hate this story, and my cousins always bring this up. It is fruitless to defend 3rd grade behavior, so I have solved this problem by avoiding all cousins.

But I digress. The Scallion has a clip that fits in a hip pocket, you never know it is there. I loved this knife so much I got a Volt II for my fish cleaning knife (all the purists can stop reading now, and go back to "Masterpiece Theater"). It has a serrated blade that will slice thru an anal fin in 0.3 seconds, an unbelievably sharp tool. It is incredibly, dangerously, sharp. I have yet to clean a fish that I have not brought forth some of my own blood. Most times I do not even notice this, except for the spots of red I see that shouldn't be there, until I look at my hands (I mentioned I'm old, you young whippersnappers just wait til you see blood in random spots and had no idea it was your own precious fluids). But, those injuries are painless, and I seem to heal fast. My father told me "the most dangerous knife is a dull knife". I'm sure he is right, but I doubt if he ever had a Kershaw......

So, I dont think this post is "popcorn worthy", but hey, we fishermen love our tools, post up with your fav knife. If you are still using that generic knife, you have no idea what you are missing.....