+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: kershaw knives

Default kershaw knives

For the last 30 years I have carried the smallest Victorinex swiss army knife, which I have used daily, and was very happy with it. I hear folks say "tools that are supposed to do everything really do nothing well". I agree, except many times I need a tool that does everything at least half ***, and this knife fits the bill. But recently I read about Kershaw knives on another forum, and picked up a "scallion" on flea bay. I love this knife. When I need a knife, I use this; when I need "not perfect, but make do tool" I use the Victorinex. So now I carry 2 knives, if you can call the Victorinex a knife.......

The biggest issue was the bulk, while not that big, it is bigger than the Victorinex. I hate bulk in my pockets. I never carry change. This dates back to elementary school when my parents would give me a quarter for milk money, but never got the 6 cents change (I'm old OK??). Finally, they asked me about the 6 cents and, I told the truth, I threw it in a bush near the cafeteria because I hated carrying the change. But, of course, this morphed into a "family story" of how Jeff threw the change into a bush because he was "afraid of losing it". I hate this story, and my cousins always bring this up. It is fruitless to defend 3rd grade behavior, so I have solved this problem by avoiding all cousins.

But I digress. The Scallion has a clip that fits in a hip pocket, you never know it is there. I loved this knife so much I got a Volt II for my fish cleaning knife (all the purists can stop reading now, and go back to "Masterpiece Theater"). It has a serrated blade that will slice thru an anal fin in 0.3 seconds, an unbelievably sharp tool. It is incredibly, dangerously, sharp. I have yet to clean a fish that I have not brought forth some of my own blood. Most times I do not even notice this, except for the spots of red I see that shouldn't be there, until I look at my hands (I mentioned I'm old, you young whippersnappers just wait til you see blood in random spots and had no idea it was your own precious fluids). But, those injuries are painless, and I seem to heal fast. My father told me "the most dangerous knife is a dull knife". I'm sure he is right, but I doubt if he ever had a Kershaw......

So, I dont think this post is "popcorn worthy", but hey, we fishermen love our tools, post up with your fav knife. If you are still using that generic knife, you have no idea what you are missing.....
    "Fishermen are born honest, but they get over it"
    Ed Zern

I have 9 Kershaw knives, but only use 2 for edc. Blur and a Skyline. Both US built and both keep a damn sharp edge. Great knives even the ones built overseas.

A small Swiss knife with on blade, file, sizzers, tweezers and tooth pick, does it all for me on small jobs.
    It has a life time warranty.

Benchmade, Osborne 940...the sharpener is from Triple Aught Design in SF:

C
    lips right on the inside of my upper left hand vest pocket...

PT/TB
    Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"
    http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

Thanks for post, I'm in the market for a new knife. Had a nifty one, called a "fish knife", had a 3" blade and it just fit my hand. But alas, left it "somewhere" in my travels (I'm getting to that age!)

Did a little Google and found this on eBay - just might look into it further.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/221407099888?lpid=82

My pocket knife for the past 30 years is the Kershaw, Wild Turkey. This is my second one. (yep, lost one) I find the steel is far better than any I have found in other makers. It stays in my pocket and very sharp. I only need a single blade, so the Wild Turkey is perfect. My previous personal knife was the Baby Fairbairn, but it is frowned upon by some.
    Denny

I have a lot of Kershaw knives (hunting, fishing, pocket, kitchen...) and a couple pairs of thier Skeeter fly tying scissors. They are all great.

I live and work near the Kershaw factory. Once a year they have a big sale ,at the factory, that includes seconds etc. They have people there standing by with band aids at the ready. And yes I've needed one.

I used to carry a pocket knife with me all the time when I first retired. Then, when I started my own business, I was traveling quite a bit by air so I got out of the habit for obvious reasons. Now that I travel much less, I find many times that I need a knife. This thread has made me want to get another one to carry every day. I don't want to carry a large knife so I decided on a small rather unique knife that I found on sale at SierraTradingPost.com As a regular customer, they sent me a special deal flier that included a $20 ecard so I ended up getting it for $56.00 http://www.sierratradingpost.com/spy...ing=s~knife%2F

It gets great reviews but I'll let you now how it works out.

Jim Smith

Jim Smith

Blog Entries

Case 64047p given me 40 years ago for my birthday. I didnt cary it for years out of fear of loosing it. then about six months ago I figured out if I used and lost it I would still have more memories than if I left it to rot in a box. Every time I dig it ought I think of my Grandad who always carried Case
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

I just got a Kershaw Shuffle and it is a GREAT knife. Cheap but very well made and very functional. You will not be wasting your money buying a couple of these.

+ Reply to Thread