+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: kershaw knives

Hybrid View

Default kershaw knives

For the last 30 years I have carried the smallest Victorinex swiss army knife, which I have used daily, and was very happy with it. I hear folks say "tools that are supposed to do everything really do nothing well". I agree, except many times I need a tool that does everything at least half ***, and this knife fits the bill. But recently I read about Kershaw knives on another forum, and picked up a "scallion" on flea bay. I love this knife. When I need a knife, I use this; when I need "not perfect, but make do tool" I use the Victorinex. So now I carry 2 knives, if you can call the Victorinex a knife.......

The biggest issue was the bulk, while not that big, it is bigger than the Victorinex. I hate bulk in my pockets. I never carry change. This dates back to elementary school when my parents would give me a quarter for milk money, but never got the 6 cents change (I'm old OK??). Finally, they asked me about the 6 cents and, I told the truth, I threw it in a bush near the cafeteria because I hated carrying the change. But, of course, this morphed into a "family story" of how Jeff threw the change into a bush because he was "afraid of losing it". I hate this story, and my cousins always bring this up. It is fruitless to defend 3rd grade behavior, so I have solved this problem by avoiding all cousins.

But I digress. The Scallion has a clip that fits in a hip pocket, you never know it is there. I loved this knife so much I got a Volt II for my fish cleaning knife (all the purists can stop reading now, and go back to "Masterpiece Theater"). It has a serrated blade that will slice thru an anal fin in 0.3 seconds, an unbelievably sharp tool. It is incredibly, dangerously, sharp. I have yet to clean a fish that I have not brought forth some of my own blood. Most times I do not even notice this, except for the spots of red I see that shouldn't be there, until I look at my hands (I mentioned I'm old, you young whippersnappers just wait til you see blood in random spots and had no idea it was your own precious fluids). But, those injuries are painless, and I seem to heal fast. My father told me "the most dangerous knife is a dull knife". I'm sure he is right, but I doubt if he ever had a Kershaw......

So, I dont think this post is "popcorn worthy", but hey, we fishermen love our tools, post up with your fav knife. If you are still using that generic knife, you have no idea what you are missing.....
    "Fishermen are born honest, but they get over it"
    Ed Zern

I have 9 Kershaw knives, but only use 2 for edc. Blur and a Skyline. Both US built and both keep a damn sharp edge. Great knives even the ones built overseas.

A small Swiss knife with on blade, file, sizzers, tweezers and tooth pick, does it all for me on small jobs.
    It has a life time warranty.

Benchmade, Osborne 940...the sharpener is from Triple Aught Design in SF:

C
    lips right on the inside of my upper left hand vest pocket...

PT/TB
    Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"
    http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

Thanks for post, I'm in the market for a new knife. Had a nifty one, called a "fish knife", had a 3" blade and it just fit my hand. But alas, left it "somewhere" in my travels (I'm getting to that age!)

Did a little Google and found this on eBay - just might look into it further.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/221407099888?lpid=82

My pocket knife for the past 30 years is the Kershaw, Wild Turkey. This is my second one. (yep, lost one) I find the steel is far better than any I have found in other makers. It stays in my pocket and very sharp. I only need a single blade, so the Wild Turkey is perfect. My previous personal knife was the Baby Fairbairn, but it is frowned upon by some.
    Denny

Quote Originally Posted by pillcaster View Post
    I never carry change. This dates back to elementary school when my parents would give me a quarter for milk money, but never got the 6 cents change (I'm old OK??). Finally, they asked me about the 6 cents and, I told the truth, I threw it in a bush near the cafeteria because I hated carrying the change.
    Huh. The only person I've ever known like this is my son. He's 23 now, so I don't know if it's still true. He would literally throw change away.

As for knives, I've donated too many to the cause of freedom (aka TSA agents). I no longer carry one.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    As for knives, I've donated too many to the cause of freedom (aka TSA agents). I no longer carry one.
    Back when I was flying on a regular basis, I carried a padded stamped envelope addressed to me, just in case I got to the security point and still had my knife. I never had to use it, but I had reason to go a federal building downtown Atlanta, had never given security a thought. The local courthouse ill store your knife for you, not the feds. I just went to the post office and mailed it to myself. It arrived the next day.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    I almost "donated" a knife one time. Flying out I was smart enough to pack my pocket knife in my checked bag. On the return flight, after the knife had been in my pocket for the better part of a week, I never gave it a thought. I actually dropped it in the little dish going through security. Of course, the security person turned on his red light. The supervisor came over and picked it up and asked me if this was my knife. I said yep. She asked if I wanted to keep it. I said yes.

She said, "OK, go over to the newsstand right over there. Buy a padded envelope and stamps, address it to yourself and come back. Hand me the envelope and I'll put your knife in, seal it and drop it in the mail box."

This was at the Salt Lake City airport and obviously wasn't the first time that had happened. They had the routine down pat. The young lady at the newsstand knew exactly why I needed an envelope and knew how many stamps I would need. The security supervisor did her job very well. I got my knife in the mail 3 days later.

I have to say I was VERY impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Royce View Post
    I almost "donated" a knife one time. Flying out I was smart enough to pack my pocket knife in my checked bag. On the return flight, after the knife had been in my pocket for the better part of a week, I never gave it a thought. I actually dropped it in the little dish going through security. Of course, the security person turned on his red light. The supervisor came over and picked it up and asked me if this was my knife. I said yep. She asked if I wanted to keep it. I said yes.

She said, "OK, go over to the newsstand right over there. Buy a padded envelope and stamps, address it to yourself and come back. Hand me the envelope and I'll put your knife in, seal it and drop it in the mail box."

This was at the Salt Lake City airport and obviously wasn't the first time that had happened. They had the routine down pat. The young lady at the newsstand knew exactly why I needed an envelope and knew how many stamps I would need. The security supervisor did her job very well. I got my knife in the mail 3 days later.
    Had the same thing happen to me!

Now, I've always carried a pocket knife of some kind - simply am not dressed without one. Right now I have a Sheffield lockback single blade - think I bought it a dozen years ago at Lowe's Bldg Supply, replaced an old Case that I had for years; and it's my knock around, work-a-day knife - think it cost maybe in the $15.00/20.00 range. Has a 2" blade, closed it's 3" - however, when wearing my Sunday best duds, don't carry it but instead have one of those little Swiss knives that has a little, frail 1" blade (good for opening mail), nail file, itty-bitty scissors, itty-bitty tweasers and a plastic tooth pick.
    Well, I went through the airport security and dropped the little Swiss knife, along with my pocket change and keys, into the little bowl ... and Lord have mercy ... they quickly advised me that I could not carry a KNIFE aboard an aircraft! So I did the packaging of the itty-bitty knife and sent it home (site reference below shows what the little Swiss looks like). Strange regulations ... could not carry that little thing, yet I could have had a pair of stout scissors with 3" blades and that would have been O.K. ~

http://www.swissknifeshop.com/swiss-...19jqbH7eTw_wcB

+ Reply to Thread