+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Blank Reviews

Default Blank Reviews

I'm getting ready (waiting on the parts) to rebuild my 8 1/2' 4wt rod. I've also been putting in a lot of overtime at work. I've told my wife that some of that OT is MINE, no questions asked (grin).
    Sooo naturally the thought has crossed my mind to buy a new blank and all that other neat stuff and build my second rod! I'm toying with the idea anyway...

I'm trying to do a comparisson of fly rod blanks. Does anyone know of any web sites with at least semi-unbiased reviews of different blanks? A Google search has so far led nowhere. I guess any unbiased info would do.

I usually do small stream (eastern) fishing. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Charlie

We'll need a bit more info. What are you fishing for, what line weight range do you like, and what sort of action? Plus what sort of price range are you in?
    Some generic recommendations I would give are DanCraft SigV (lightweight and mod/fast action), SigIII (a little faster and a little heavier), and FT (fast and a bit heavier yet, but still not too heavy). The Sig III 1 weight has quite a following. The FT is very versitile and will cast a large range of lines effectively. I hear that he has the FTL in work that will be the FT style action with some weight reduction. I have an 8'3" SigV 3/4 weight that is just a marvelous rod. Awesome! My next will be a FT or FTL. Dan's rods give top end performance at a mid-range price.
    Also anything from the Batson line is a good blank from my experience. I haven't used the RX7+ or 8+ blanks, but I do like the old RX7 and RX8 blanks. And the Forecast line is a great value. I build almost nothing but Batson/DanCraft blanks anymore.
    You might also look into the Common Cents Database and do some comparisons. Find a rod that you've used and like, then find others with similar attributes.

I don't know about a site with comprehensive reviews, but you can go to Rodbuilding.org and ask about an specific blank. If its on the market, someone there has built it. Oh, you probably don't need to ask about Dan Craft again because you'll get 100 guys concurring with Ol' Blue.

4. Default

Best advice anyone can give is to cast a finsihed rod first before you buy the blank. An expensive lesson I learned the hardway. I will NEVER build on a blank that I haven't cast the finished rod from again.
    I really liked the Sage SLT but wanted a cheaper alternative. Advice from the net said use CCS and get an RX7. Well an RX7 is nowhere near an SLT IMO, heavier at the tip, slower action, not the same feel. So I'm out $100 for that rod and ended up building the SLT anyhow.
    If you like a sage or loomis or winston, build the rod on that blank regardless of the price difference. If you cast a finished rainshadow or pac bay and like it, fine build it.
    To me building on a blank that I haven't cast first is a waste of time and money.

I'd like to try different rods before I made another one, but I'm at least an hour away from the closest fly shop. It's an Orvis dealer and carries Orvis, Sage, and G Loomis rods mainly, and only a few of those.
    The other fly rod dealer is ProBass, 40 minutes away. But the last I looked they carry their store brand- White River. I'm not sure that they would let me cast their rods anyway, even if I brought my own reel.

My favorite rod, and I only have 2, is an older G Loomis IM6 8 1/2' 4wt. I also have a Cabela's PT 6'6" 2wt. This was factory built.

I would like a blank a little faster than the IM6 or at least no slower. And I think 7' to 7'6". I would like good materials used in the blank, mainly quality resins for durability. (At least my research has led me to believe that the quality of the resins have a lot to do with the overall durability of the blank.)

Like I say, I fish small freestone and tailwater streams, 100' wide or less- like 15'.

You know, I DO live in salmon and stealhead country...but that's another game entirely!

Charlie

Call Dan Craft or Batson. They can give you a bit of perspective on their blanks and recommend something that will work for you. Plus they are really nice guys.
    Blank durability also has a lot to do with the modulus of the graphite to some extent. When you look at high modulus rods that are extremely light weight, you will notice very thin wall thickness. That can cause a durability issue. Those thin walls can get bruised more easily than an IM6 class of rod bacause of that thin wall that makes them so light. So to some extent, you have a weight vs. durability trade off.
    "I would like a blank a little faster than the IM6 or at least no slower." I'm assuming you are talking about the action of the blank (i.e. moderate, fast, slow). The action of the blank will be determined by the blank designer. You can get IM6 blanks in different action ranges.
    Another option if you want to get out this weekend is to make the drive down to Charlotte for the big rodbuilding and flyfishing show. You should be able to find just about anything you want there, and get your hands on a lot of the blank and rods there as well at better prices than you will get the rest of the year. I am in your situation where there just isn't much nearby, so I'm flying in this year.

Thanks, guys. It took a bit of searching but I did find the DanCraft web page and downloaded their catalog. It makes me wonder about other small rodmakers out there..

For now I'm keeping my options open. I know the most important question for me to answer is what do I want out of a rod.

It sounds stupid, at least to non fisher folks, but I think all I really want is a good quality , 7' to 7'6" 4wt rod with moderate to mod-fast action.

Most people I know would consider that nuts because I already have a 4wt 8'6" rod! They say what the hells the difference!!!

I'm glad there is a way and a place to get in touch with other nuts!

I live in upstate NY so I won't be going to Charlotte. Instead I'll be working 16 hours on Sunday, actually from 3pm Sun to at least 7am Mon morning. Then back to work 3pm Monday. Believe me, going to Charlotte sounds soooo sweeeet!

Charlie

I was very impressd with the Cabela's Stowaway 5pc in both 4wt and 5wt. Really great action for a blank under $40.

The fit and finish were not up to the standards of a $300-$400 blank from some of the better known names, but nothing I couldn't fix with some 2000 grit sand paper and careful buffing/polishing.

+ Reply to Thread