+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wjhen Is A 'Guarantee' applicable?

Only two, thank god, experiences with broken rods. Sent one rod back to company when it broke at mid point and it appeared to me that the inside portion had a defect. The company replaced it, no charge, except for shipping and they agreed it was faulty. Second rod tip accidentally got slammed in the truck door when a wind blew it shut. Told the company was my fault and would be glad to pay the replacement cost. They graciously declined and sent me a new tip. Took care of future door slamming by buying a set of magnets built for holding rods to side of vehicle while gearing up.

Unfortunately, I have broken more than 2 rods. One had a "Lifetime Warranty" when it was new. A very whippy glass spinning rod. It broken above the handle, the company offered me a coupon off the price of a new rod. They had quit making that particular series of rod and instead of sending me some comparable, a letter from the president of the company explained the warranty was for the life of the rod. I nor any of my friends have purchased rod of that brand in e last 25 years.

The other was TFO, which was replaced for the $25 shipping and handling fee. Unfortunately, it was not warranted against leaving it in the bottom of the river.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Jesse,

You stated, "Unfortunately, it was not warranted against leaving it in the bottom of the river."

I cannot think of any reason why you would go there in the first place and and then forget your rod when leaving!
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Warren, I didn't go there, I was busy trying to make it to the next sunrise and didn't prevent my rods from going to the bottom of the river. Although I was already wet the water temperature and the air temperature prevent me from considering probing for rods that day. I didn't drown. Mr. Kevin Proctor customized and made me a gift of a much better rod than the 5 wt. I lost. My Colorado Customs Rod is the best casting rod I have ever used. I found a bright blue Ross 4 wt., that was christened on the Elk River last fall and proved to be an adequate rod for most my fishing. I stopped by a local National Guard unit and made a swap to replace the boonie hat I had worn since 1989, it was last seen floating south on the Hooch. Today I am whole from my losses or even better off than before them.

Quote Originally Posted by maodiver View Post
    What Larry said. If I am willing to pay extra for a rod with an unconditional warranty, then the rod has an unconditional warranty...even if I buy it on sale.
    I agree. Here's my guarantee story. A few years ago I bought a top-line Cabela's rod; it was on clearance but to my understanding still came with the Cabela's lifetime warranty. The tip broke and I returned it. They looked up what I'd paid for it and they wanted to replace it with a much cheaper rod. I argued that the warranty stated it would be replaced with a comparable rod, and that nobody told me when I bought it that the warranty would no longer apply. I went round and round with several layers of customer service and never got anywhere.

Finally I wrote a letter to Jim and Dick; they were retired but supposedly still on the board. I explained the situation and said that I was a long-time customer and that I knew if they were still running the company I wouldn't be having this issue. I also stated that I would find it hard to remain a customer due to the situation.

Now, I have no idea whether or not either of them actually saw the letter, but someone did, because I got a call from the VP of customer service who told me that there had been a "misunderstanding" and that of course they would be replacing my rod with the current comparable model. I had already replaced it so I asked if I could get the new rod in a different weight, and they said sure. I still have the rod, and I'm still a customer, even though it took me a bit of work.
    There have never in history been so many opportunities to do so many things that aren't worth doing. - William Gaddis

Some great responses here. I think the fact we are now paying over $650 for a graphite rod it should be unconditional. Seriously. Even if shut in a door. I would feel guilty at all. Bamboo on the other hand is a different story. In all honesty, I know the technology and time involved in coming up with the lightest, latest greatest, but over $700.?????? I take my hat off to Orvis. I recently shattered the top two sections on my T3 battling a 10 lb Carp. I sent it back for about $20. with insurance as this is a first generation T3. FOUR weeks after they received it I got it back not only with new sections but they put a new reel seat and cork on! The price on this rod was over $600. new....this is the treatment that should come in my opinion.
    Now these companies with the $150 rods and unconditional, to me they are more than generous, but they are marketing to new comers and this happens. It should be costing first born, but it is.

Given the logical reasoning of several responders, the car manufacturer or the dealership should pay for the repair if you buy a new car and a week later crash it into your garage, or a fire hydrant, or have an accident that's clearly your fault.
    Oh, and for the record, the original post did not mention an 'Unconditional' guarantee.
    Allan

Alan, I think that if the auto manufacturer advertised their warranty that way and you paid for the car with that warranty (which would be as hideously expensive as high end fly rods, I think) then you would be right to file the claim. It is a business expense that is factored into the price of the product and you pay it for when you make your purchase.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

rainbow,

What makes you think that the auto manufacturers haven't put into the price the potential cost of 'recalls'? Or, that they've added into the cost for lawsuits arising from the likely failure of some feature that would be millions of $s to make safer? Heck, just look at GM.

I believe you gentlemen are talking about rolling your comprehensive auto insurance into the purchase price of the automobile. That is something the dealers would probably learn to love and profit great from over time

+ Reply to Thread